34 - Epilogue

Percy knelt down in front of the apartment door, his hand sliding under the scratchy welcome mat and retrieving a key.

He took a deep breathe before he unlocked the door, the knob turning with a slight squeak.

The door slowly swung open, the apartment untouched from the battle that took place nearby.

The boy shuffled in, his armor discarded and his clothes still fresh from battle. His camp shirt was torn and dirtied, his face shiny from sweat and tears.

"Mom..?" He called out.

He was met by the woman peeking out from a doorway ahead, relief and worry immediately clashing on her face once she saw him.

Sally quickly ran to him, her hand coming up to touch his cheek.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" She asked, looking him over for injuries.

"I'm.. I'm fine.." He quietly replied, however his eyes told a different story. They seemed to stare into space, searching for something that wasn't there.

Sally looked behind her son, expecting someone else to be following. Her daughter.

"Jay, is she with you..?" The woman asked, a tinge of excitement present in her voice.

However, her expression faltered as she saw her son's change. His sad eyes met hers, and in that moment no words were said, but the story was told.

Confusion was the first thing that came across Sally's face, then realization, and then devastation.

"No..is she..?" She choked out, her heart snapping in two as Percy softly nodded, his arms coming around her in a comforting hug.

The woman's hand clutched the back of her son's shirt, her sobs muffled by his shoulder as she trembled. Silently, Percy stood there with her, tears streaming down his cheeks as he gazed at the doorway. In the kitchen on the counter were a batch of homemade cupcakes complete with blue icing.

************
Luke stood silently as he watched the flames rise.

The glow of the fire illuminated his tired face. It exposing the dark circles under his eyes as well as the glimmer of tears swelling within. Among Jay's shroud were the shrouds of other fallen demigods, including Silena.

He felt a soft touch on his shoulder which caused him to look over. Standing next to him was Thalia, her electric blue eyes showing sympathy.

If he could, he would've hugged her right then. But he couldn't, for his hands were bound with a glowing rope that served as his handcuffs.

He was to be trialed with Ethan Nakumara, the only other surviving demigod
on Kronos' side.

Thalia however, hugged him anyway. He felt some of the pain begin to numb away as he closed his eyes in her embrace. More tears threatened to spill as he realized his childhood friend was back. Would she even forgive him?

"Thalia.. I'm sorry.." he began, but she cut him off.

"Annabeth explained everything. I understand.."

Luke shook his head as he pulled back, his gaze falling to the ground. Annabeth was still uneasy around him, and she had also been occupied with comforting Percy.

"I was going to bring the fleece back to you, you know that right? Kronos..he made me poison you in the first place. He twisted my mind, made me do things I'll forever regret and-"

"I believe you. After all we've been through, why wouldn't I?"

Luke let out a shaky breathe, relieved that his friend still cared for him. Still understood him.