21 - Silent Prayers

Salt.

Waves.

Stinging.

A small seagull pecked at a piece of cloth as Percy Jackson walked along the shore.

The boy was stressed. His black mop of hair was messy as he rubbed his face with a tan hand. His heart ached for his sister, who joined the side of Kronos.

He had just walked away from an outburst. The boy had just heard some campers bad mouthing Jay.

"She's a dirty little traitor. Just like Luke." one jabbed.

"Hope she falls in tartarus." another chimed in.

At that remark, Percy lost it. Annabeth had drilled him the fact that he mustn't show his support for Jay. He must stay neutral and quiet.

However like most times, Percy didn't care.

"Shut up!" he yelled at the campers, his anger making his blood boil.

"She's still my sister." he seethed before storming off, not wanting to make the situation worse.

Now he was walking along the shore, past the lake and onto the Long Island Sound.

He had noticed some vultures circling the sky, and his eyes scanned the shore. He was looking for any beached creatures that he could help, but what he actually saw made his heart stop.

A person was laying on the shore a bit down, they were still and seagulls were waddling around them. However, Percy could recognize that wavy coral hair from anywhere.

The demigod dashed to the spot and dropped to his knees, causing the seagulls to scatter and screech.

His sister laid in the sand, her skin pale and lips chapped. The torso of her shirt was torn and there was dried blood everywhere.

Percy felt tears glaze his eyes as he gently shook the girl, millions of scenarios racking his head.

Jay let out a small breathe, it being antagonizing and shallow.

"Shh shh.." Percy said softly, panicking and gently sitting her up in his arms. The girl slowly opened her eyes, sand encrusted around her eyelids. As sun bleached her vision, she could barely make out the silhouette of Percy.

"Percy..?" she whimpered, dazed.

"It's me.." he said softly, gently brushing sand from her face. Jay's hand gently felt her stomach, feeling for a gash that wasn't there. Instead, there was bumpy flesh where a scar had formed.

Percy observed this and smiled, relieved.

"I guess the sea healed you. You better thank it." he let out a small and grateful smile, which Jay replied with a weak chuckle.

Percy gently helped her sit up, the girl looking around at her surroundings.

"What happened?" Percy finally asked.

Suddenly, last nights events rushed back into Jay's memory.
Luke. Kelli. The fight. Kronos. His blade.

She looked down, shaking her head.

"He did that, didn't he?" Percy pointed to her wound, his temper rising.

Jay didn't respond, further confirming his suspicions. Percy huffed angrily, his green eyes ablaze.

"You can't go back. You're staying at camp." he ordered.

Jay shook her head, her eyes brimming with tears.

"I can't.." she whimpered.

"You can't just go back to him, Jay. He'll kill you." Percy argued.

"They'll kill me here too." Jay replied.