24 - Bittersweet

On one fateful day, New York City changed, the city was frozen in animation. To prepare for the war, Kronos had to work some magic to manage the civilian population. Since Kronos was the Titan of time, he could easily manipulate the workings of the city.

The city's civilians were stuck in their positions, babies were stopped mid-cry, squirrels stood still as they munched on acorns, everything was silent. Not only was everything still, but from the outside, the city looked normal. Thanks to the mist, anyone coming into the city would see everything as ordinary, as if the war was in another dimension entirely.

This was in order to keep the mortals from meddling with the war, and this baffled Jay.
She had went out onto the roof of the skyscraper, and a frozen bird rested on the railing.

However, when Jay went to touch it, her hand passed through it, like a mirage. She was shocked, yet relieved. It didn't seem like the mortal beings could be touched, or hurt.

"Can't have every mortal dying now can we? Who would we rule?" Kronos had explained.

We.

The word made her gut churn. She hated the reality that Kronos expected her to be his side kick.

The girl looked at the skyline of the frozen city sadly. She wanted to break free, but she didn't know how.

However, the answer would come to her in an unlikely way.

As the girl went back to her room, she felt a tug on her arm, and she gasped as she was pulled inside of her chamber, the door clicking shut.

She whirled around to see her assailant, and her heart skipped a beat when her eyes landed upon them.

Luke was there, his body trembling slightly, his skin clammy. His eyes were blue.

"Luke.." she breathed, a spark of hope igniting in her chest.

Without missing a beat, the young man pulled her into a tight hug, burying his face in her wavy hair. Jay returned the hug tightly, trying to ward off any tears.

"How.." She managed to whisper.

He pulled back a bit and looked her in the eyes.

"We don't have much time. I need to tell you something." His voice was weak, but stern.

Jay looked at him, listening as Luke took a deep breathe. She felt his cold hand envelop hers as he guided it to his side, just underneath his armpit. She looked at him with confusion.

"That's..my Achilles heel," He said, but Jay didn't understand.

"That's where you must strike me. It's the only way to kill me."

Alarms rang in Jay's head, her heart racing.

"What do you mean?? Luke.."

Guilt washed over Luke's face, his blue eyes shimmering from tears.

"I messed up... he won't stop at the gods, or Camp, he'll kill everyone. I need this to end." His voice wavered, his gaze falling to the floor, along with Jay's heart.

"No..that can't be the way.." she begged, her body beginning to tremble as well.

"You have to listen to me. You have to be strong. You can't let him win. Do you understand?" He asked, his eyes locked onto hers.

Jay gulped and hesitantly nodded. Her mind was racing, she was in shock.

Luke shook his head sadly before gazing at her for a moment, savoring her image. She did the same, her green eyes focusing on his blue ones.

Luke then quickly pulled the girl in for a kiss, his chest swelling with sadness and regret. Jay found herself kissing him back, wishing the moment could last forever.

She kept her eyes closed when he pulled back, scared that when she would open them, his eyes would return to gold. However, she gave in when his hand stroked her cheek, her hand coming up to clasp his.

"Don't let him know this happened..and when the time comes..you know what to do." Luke said quietly, his hand still resting on her cheek.

Jay hesitantly nodded, but her eyes were beginning to fill to the brim. A lone tear fell down her cheek, but was quickly swiped away by Luke's thumb.

"I regret a lot of this..but I don't regret one thing at all, Jay." He said softly.

"What..?" She asked timidly.

"Taking you in. Giving you a home. Even if it was for a short time," He winced, but then chuckled, his signature smirk appearing for a brief moment, "It was the only thing I did right."

His words warmed her heart, but then shattered it at the same time. The girl didn't know what else to do but hug him tighter, her sniffles muffled by his shirt.

"I love you.." She managed to croak, her throat tightening from witholding more tears.

Luke's tough exterior crumbled at her words, and he found his voice wavering and his eyes wetting as he replied.

"I love you too.."

He pulled back from her, feeling the familiar sickness in his stomach from Kronos' control.

"I gotta go. I.." He didn't know what else to say, so he quickly squeezed her hand and let his eyes linger on her face before he walked out, shutting the door behind him.

Jay was left in her room, silent and still as her mind reflected on what just happened.

He wants me to kill him..

Her knees felt weak, her head whirled.

This can't be happening. I can't kill demigods. I can't kill him. I can't kill anyone!

She took deep breathes, remembering his pleas for her to be strong.

Once she finally calmed, she sat on her bed as her gaze shifted to the wall. She racked her mind for any information on an "Achilles Heel."

She had remembered it being mentioned somewhere in the books she poured over at camp. It was some sort of weak spot, the only spot that could be struck to kill the host.

The thought made her stomach sick.

There has to be another way. I can't let him die..I can't let everyone die..

Then, she got an idea. A dangerous, yet plausible one.

The girl looked down at her hands, the idea settling in her mind.

She was powerful, even more powerful than Luke. That was why Kronos allowed her a second chance.

Kronos had clearly been impressed, and maybe envious of her power. What if she could use that to her advantage?

However, if this plan backfired, it would cause even more destruction than before.

But she was confident, and soon the terrifying thought settled into her conscious.

If I succeed, I save him..and everyone. Everyone wins..but me. I would make the sacrifice, not Luke.

She was going to convince Kronos to trade her body for Luke's.

It's the best way..I know I will succeed. I will put an end to this.