14 - Golden fleece

The next day, Luke was gone for a few hours in the morning. Jay found herself sitting in the kitchen, eating some grapes from a bag.

He returned at around lunch time, his hair windswept. Jay watched him take off his jacket curiously.

"Where did you go?" she asked.

He looked over at her as he smoothed back his blonde hair.

"Just running some errands. I have some news."

Jay leaned forward, intrigued.

"We have a mission. We need to get a thing called The Golden Fleece."

"What's the Golden Fleece?"

Luke sat in front of her, his eyes sparkling, his signature insignia for mischief.

"It can heal any wound. We need it for...just in case."

Jay felt that he was hiding something from her, but she didn't want to pry him yet. However, the strange event that happened yesterday still bothered her.

Ill ask him about it later.

Luke gazed at Jay as he explained the mission. They had to retrieve the fleece from an island on which a cyclops lived. He felt slightly amused by Jay's innocent expression.

He couldn't tell her what he had done to Thalia's tree. To the camp. He couldn't risk losing her as an ally.

Jay had powers that she could unlock and wipe out anything in her path. She just needed time to discover them. And he was determined to keep her on his side.

The demigod watched as Jay put on her shoes and sheathed her sword. He could tell that the girl was nervous, she was jumpy, and her green eyes darted around.

Luke sailed to the island and parked the yacht a good distance away from the island for safety. As Jay gazed out on the deck, she saw the island as a blob in the distance.

Luke stood beside her, his sandy locks tussling slightly from the salty wind.

Jay looked at him, her fingers nervously tapping the railing. To her surprise, Luke reached over and rested his hand upon hers, stopping it.

"It'll be fine. I have a plan." his blue eyes looked determined.

"What is it?"

"The fleece is guarded by a cyclops. We get in, you distract him. You are small and fast, he can't catch you. Meanwhile I steal the fleece and we get out of there." he explained.

Jay hated the plan.

"He'll kill me Luke." she huffed.

His expression turned serious.

"I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." he said softly.

She looked up at him and nodded, putting her trust in him.

I'm a demigod. I can do this.

Luke then wrapped his arms around her and flew up with his flying shoes.
Jay clung to him as tight as she could as they soared.

"Y'know, you can just give me a pair of those shoes." she said.

A grin appeared on Luke's face.

"I like this way better."

As their shoes hit the soft sand, a loud "BAAA" startled them.

A fluffy white sheep was lazily munching on some grass, a whole flock behind it.

Jay's face lit up at the sight of the animal and she went to pet it, but Luke stopped her.

A booming voice was heard from the center of the island.

"I AM STARVING FOR SOME SATYRS!"

Jay looked fearfully at Luke, confused and scared.

"That's Polyphemus. The cyclops. He uses the fleece to lure in satyrs for lunch." he explained.

Luke then started for a pathway going up a hill, Jay on his heels.

Luke's blue eyes darted alertly as they made their way onto a large ridge. As far as the eye could see were white dots of sheep. In the distance, however was a large tree with a shimmering gold blanket draped over it's branches.

"There it is." Jay said, pointing to its direction.

The tree was rooted on a separate piece of land, a ravine and rope bridge connecting it to the mainland. Surrounding the fleece was a flock of sheep.

"Okay. I'll make my way over there and you keep an eye out for polyphemus. Got it?" Luke said.

"Got it. Be sneaky." Jay replied

"That's my specialty."

Then Luke dashed off, weaving his way through the blobs of idling sheep.

Jay pulled out her sword and roamed the area, keeping a sharp look out for the cyclops.

Luke finally reached the rope bridge and began making his way across it.
However, he stopped when he got a good look at the sheep in front of him.

Their eyes were red and their jaws were lined with razor sharp teeth.

"Oh fu-"

One raced at him and he twirled his sword, slashing it into dust.
Luke began cutting through the line of carnivorous sheep when he heard a loud sound, almost like a giant heartbeat.

The ground shook as Polyphemus made his way over the ridge, his only eye large and discolored.

Jay gulped and clenched her sword, ready to keep the monster away from her friend.

Polyphemus looked around and saw the blurred outline of Jay and roared.

"PUNY DEMIGOD. YOU WILL SUFFICE FOR A MEAL."

The giant monster lunged at the girl, but she was faster.

Jay sprinted and ran in a zig-zag pattern as Polyphemus stumbled behind.

Luke then yelled out in pain as a sheep bit his arm, blood seeping out of his wound.

Polyphemus heard his cry and turned towards him, growling.

"YOU DARE TO TRY AND STEAL MY FLEECE?"

He began running to Luke as he fought off the sheep.

"Jay! Get him away!" Luke yelled as he was busily slashing away the sheep.

Jay silently panicked and out of sheer desperation threw her hands up, hoping her powers would come through.

To her surprise, a wave rose from the ocean and towered over Polyphemus before crashing down on him.

Luke yelled and grabbed onto the tree as the water also washed over him, sheep falling over the side of the ravine.

Polyphemus fell and yelled out in pain, clawing at his eye.

"SEA SALT! SEA SALT!"

"Luke! Get it!" Jay yelled.

The boy quickly pulled himself up and snagged the fleece before running across the bridge.

Jay ran to him and looked over at the cyclops, who was still writhing in pain from his eye.

Luke grinned and gently grabbed ber arm.

"Lets go!"

The boy scooped her up and made a running start, successfully jumping off the high ridge and flying up into the air.

Jay smiled happily, glad that they accomplished their mission.

However, when they landed on the yacht, her expression changed.
Piles of dust from slain monsters dotted the deck, it being eerily quiet.
Luke let out an angry growl, his teeth clenched and his eyes on fire.

Just then, A blonde girl and a dark haired boy jumped in front of them, their weapons drawn.