Lunch

By the time lunch rolled around, I felt as though I was suffocating. Every set of eyes, every whisper, was like another drop of water added to my lungs.

I didn't bother going to the cafeteria. Instead, I found a vacant hallway near the gymnasium and sat with my back up to the wall. Pulling my backpack closer, I unzipped it and pulled out my lunch bag.

I'm glad Aunt Liza reminded me to grab it, or else I probably wouldn't have eaten lunch today.

I unfurled the top of the paper bag and was about to reach in to grab a sandwich when it was snatched from my fingers.

"Thanks for lunch, Dicker!" Some of the guys on the soccer team snickered at me.

"Come on, dude," I looked up at Trevor Wilkes, who was holding my lunch just out of reach. With a false smirk growing across my lips, I teased, "If you wanted me to buy you lunch, you could've just asked."

A few of my other teammates oohed at my comeback, but Trevor just made a disgusted face.

"Don't bother showing up for practice today. Or ever again," he informed me in a nonchalant tone.

"But then how will you ever win another tournament?" I shot back innocently.

"Shut up," he growled frustratedly.

I pouted my lips a little, "Did I hurt its feelings?"

Trevor's face grew red in anger as he turned and made to stomp off with my meal. Before he could get too far, however, a hand closed around his arm to stop him.

"This isn't cool, man," another one of my teammates, Dennis, said as he took the lunch bag from Trevor and walked back to me.

"Thanks, Denny," I gave him a small smile as he handed me my lunch.

"Oh, please don't tell me you're one of them too," Trevor said, directing his comment at Dennis.

"One of what?" He asked with a small frown.

"A faggot," Trevor pointed out, gesturing to me as if it were obvious.

"I'm not," Denny said sincerely as he straightened back up and looked at his friends, "but I'm also not an asshole like you guys. Are we done here?"

"Whatever," Trevor rolled his eyes and stalked off, followed by his posse.

Looking down at me, Dennis smiled briefly and said, "I just wanted to let you know you still have some friends on the team, Cole. However few of us."

"Thanks, man," I gave him a fist bump before he walked off to catch up with the rest of the boys.

Looking back down at my lunch, I took out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, unwrapped it, and took a bite. Aunt Liza knew I loved peanut butter, so obviously there was a very generous amount on the sandwich. It was phenomenal.

I was about half way finished with it when a pair of black, beat up, converse sneakers stopped in front of me. I paused in my chewing and slowly looked up to see a boy with golden hair and an innocent face.

Elliot Goldman.

Swallowing what was in my mouth, I lowered my sandwich and glanced to his sides to see his boyfriend, Jordan Hughes, and his best friend Holiday Tucker.

Wordlessly, Elliot sat in front of me and folded his legs Indian style. Jordan followed, and then Holly.

I looked down at my lap in shame.

I had no idea what to say to him.

Glancing up at the boy, I took a deep breath and just started talking.

"There are no words to describe how sorry I am. I know first hand what it's like to be bullied and I still turned around and did the very same thing to you. I'm so sorry and I know it's not nearly enough to hope for your forgiv-"

"I forgive you," Elliot interrupted me.

I looked up, not quite believing him. "Really?"

"On one condition," he said.

I looked at my lap again, fiddling with my fingers for a moment before looking up again.

"And what's that?" I asked nervously. I noticed then that Jordan was glaring at me pretty intensely, and it was only when Elliot reached out and grabbed his hand that he broke his gaze to look at the boy. His features immediately softened.

I turned my gaze back to Elliot as he smiled softly and spoke.

"Tell us your story."

×××
A/N

What's your favorite color?

-Anon