Your Gay is Showing

A shrill ding sounded from over the loudspeaker, signalling the end of lunch and wrenching me from my memories. I looked down at the half eaten sandwich in my hands, then back up at Elliot Goldman. His eyes held pity, but he thankfully did not act on it.

Jordan still looked at me like I was a piece of scum on the bottom of his shoe, which in all honesty, I was, but the glare didn't seem as harsh now.

Holly kept a neutral face. I wouldn't doubt it if she already knew my story. She had found Jason, after all, so she at least knew parts of it.

"Well," Elliot sighed as he stood to his feet with a helping hand from his boyfriend. "Let's continue this tomorrow. Same place, same time."

I nodded, realizing my eyes were feeling a bit glossy from remembering the day my life went to hell. Blinking away the moisture, I packed up the remainder of my lunch and headed off to my next class.

It was going to be a long day.

×××

"Hey, Honey," Aunt Liza greeted as I finally made it home.

"Hey," I huffed, slipping my backpack off my shoulder and dropping it at the bottom of the stairs.

"How was your day?"

"It was okay," I said as I sat at the kitchen island, watching as she frantically searched for something. It was a little out of character for her to be so stressed out, and I found myself wondering what caused it. "What's up with you?"

"Oh, um..." She trailed off, grabbing her purse from the table and rummaging through it, "I might sort of have a date tonight."

My eyes widened as she gave me a sheepish grin before returning to her search.

"Really? That's awesome!" I said excitedly. "Who is he? What's he like? Where'd you meet him?"

"Careful, Hon. Your gay is showing," she winked at me, smirking as she pulled out a tube of lip gloss triumphantly.

"Nevermind that," I scoffed, "Tell me!"

"Okay, okay!" She smiled excitedly as she said, "His name is Adam. He came into the shop today and made a complete fool of himself trying out a bunch of really cheesy pickup lines on me. I couldn't stop laughing because each one got progressively worse. But we really hit it off. He bought two red velvet cupcakes and gave one to me. After we ate them he said he thought I was a really cool person and that he wanted to take me out on a date. I suggested I could make dinner and now, here we are."

"Oh," I said, getting a fuller picture, "He's coming here? Do you need me to disappear for a while, then?"

"Oh, no. You don't have to," she said hurriedly.

"It's fine," I smiled at her. "I can just go hang out at the diner down the street. Maybe catch a movie."

Aunt Liza bit her lip before looking at me with her big doe eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely," I grinned, knowing it was long past due for my aunt to find some semblance of a happily ever after. She was in her late thirties already, and she wasn't getting any younger. This guy sounded good for her. "When's he supposed to be here?"

Aunt Liza glanced at the clock before her eyes widened. "Oh my gosh! I only have an hour and a half! I have to get ready! Oh I have to start the food too!"

And with that, she preheated the oven before rushing off to the bathroom to apply her makeup.

×××

"Have fun," I called in a sing-song voice as I shoved my hands in my jacket pockets and walked out the front door. Winking at her, I added in a mock seductive tone, "But not too much fun."

"Cole!" she screeched playfully and whacked the back of my head. I only laughed as I walked out onto the sidewalk and made my way down the street.

Aunt Liza huffed and closed the door, probably taking a moment to regain her composure before her date made an appearence.

I hunched my shoulders up against the chill as I made my way towards the diner. I hadn't been there in a while, and I was definitely due for a visit.

I watched as my breath condensed, twisting and swirling through the cool air before fading from view. There was still a light dusting of snow covering the ground from the unexpected burst of flurries we got earlier in the day, but it would most likely be melted off by tomorrow.

Ah spring, you are as unpredictable as my life.

Finally making it the few long blocks to the diner, I pushed open the door and shuffled inside.

A little bell jingled above my head as I looked around. Nobody was behind the counter at the moment, so I quickly tapped the clinging snow off my shoes before occupying one of the booths by the window.

Sighing contently, I removed my jacket and stared into the outside world thoughtfully.

I wasn't sure how I was going to tell Elliot and the others about certain parts of my past, since I hadn't really spoken about them since the trial, but I was sure I'd figure it out when the time came.

"Odd how we always manage to find each other when we least expect it, isn't it?"

My heart stuttered at the familiar voice that sent shivers down my spine. My limbs froze solid, and it took every ounce of courage I had in me to turn my head to meet brilliant blue eyes, black hair, and a face that could make angels weep.

Jason.

I opened my mouth in an attempt to say something, but when no words came, I only resembled a fish out of water.

Jason chuckled, clicking a pen and flipping the page on a pad of paper before asking, "What can I get you to drink?"

×××

A/N

Guys, I need an actor/model to play Jason. Any ideas?

Also, what's your spirit animal?

Thanks for the read,
-Anon