Promise

It didn't take long for Jason to spot me. Our eyes locked, and as if drawn by a rope around his waist, he approached my table. 

"Fancy seeing you here," I greeted once he was close enough to hear me.

A small smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. 

"I was forced here at gunpoint," he said, his eyes flicking toward Holiday who was conversing with someone across the ballroom, "and the promise of seeing you." 

"Well here I am," I gestured to myself, sending him a cheeky grin. 

He chuckled, taking the seat next to me. 

The music had picked up again, so I found myself subconsciously leaning closer to hear him better.

"I haven't seen you for a while," I commented, curiosity clear in my voice. "That pink haired girl at the diner said you were out of town for a few days."

"Yeah," he breathed, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "I had some things I had to take care of back home."

"What things?" I asked, wracking my brain for any possibilities. From what I could remember about our old life, he really didn't have that many obligations. His main source of income was playing guitar on the street and at local venues, so he didn't have a job issue to take care of. Although, it was entirely likely that things had changed in the two years we were apart, so I couldn't dismiss that entirely. Though wouldn't he have taken care of it earlier if that were the case?

"I'll tell you all about it later when the music isn't so loud."

I nodded in agreement, determined to hold him to that. 

"Want to go raid the snack table?" I asked after a few moments of comfortable silence. 

"Definitely."

I grinned and stood up, grabbing hold of his hand and and pulling him to his feet as well. I didn't let go of it, either, content to hold his hand as we walked together toward the refreshments.

After collecting our plates of goodies, we returned to our table and munched happily on them. It was entertaining for me to watch the people I'd come to know at the school dancing like nobody was watching, but I imagined it was less so for Jason. He was in a room full of strangers.

I turned to him, about to ask him if he wanted to get some fresh air away from all the chaos, but he surprised me.

"Do you want to dance?" 

I raised a brow. "I thought you hated dancing."

"I don't mind it if it's with you," he said, looking at me with relaxed eyes as he rested his head against the arm he had propped on the table. I don't know how he always had a romantic, swoon worthy line up his sleeve, but I loved it. It just made me fall even deeper in love with him.

"Then sure," I said, feeling optimistic even though I knew the likelihood of me doing something embarrassing that I would never live down was extremely high.

"Then let's go," he smiled, offering me his hand. 

I took it and we both stood again, tossing our plates in a nearby trash can before being absorbed into the mass of gyrating teenagers.

I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up in my throat as we jumped around and twisted our limbs in nonsensical fashions. It was hilarious to watch and exhilarating to be a part of. I hadn't had so much fun in a long time, and the fact that I was doing it with my angel made it all the more memorable. 

A few more high energy songs cycled through the mix, and as we danced we eventually bumped into Emma and Dennis again, who simply started dancing with us.