Don't Push Yourself

Jason placed a chocolate shake in front of me before sliding into the seat opposite of me. There weren't really any other customers, so I guess he just decided to sit.

He sighed, staring out the window with his hands clasped together. This gave me the opportunity to study him.

I let my eyes gently sweep along his smooth, creamy skin, down his jawline and across his perfect soft pink lips. His upper lip formed a Cupid's bow that was pure artwork, and his nose sloped at a smooth angle.

His hair, though a bit messy, resembled the feathers of a raven in both texture and color and I felt the overwhelming urge to run my fingers through it to straighten it up.

Sighing lightly, I glanced back to his magnificent blue eyes only to realize with a start that he was staring right back at me with an amused smirk.

Blushing lightly, I looked down at my lap and fiddled with my fingers.

"You work here?" I found myself asking quietly, not daring to look up just yet.

"No. I work at the sandwich shop down the street," he joked halfheartedly.

"I just..." I looked down again, "I thought you went home."

"That place isn't my home," he said softly before returning his gaze out the window. "There's nothing keeping me there anymore."

"What about Marilyn?" I asked.

Jason's expression fell even more as he sadly shook his head.

I felt my heart clench as I tried to figure out what that meant. What had happened to her?

"Like I said. There's nothing keeping me there," he said again.

I furrowed my brow.

"Is there something keeping you here?" I asked, trying to keep the hope from slipping into my voice.

Jason looked at me briefly before looking down at my shake and sighing heavily. "I haven't decided yet."

"Oh," I felt disappointment squeezing the air out of my chest. Then I had another thought. "Wait. Where are you staying?"

Jason looked at me again and shook his head. "Don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about it? I'm going to damn well worry about it, Jay. There's still snow on the ground. Don't tell me you're staying outside. I have a guest bedroom if you need a place-"

"Cole," he cut me off, placing his hand over mine to silence me. I looked down at where our hands touched, feeling my heartbeat growing faster at the brief physical contact. "I've got a roof over my head. That's all you need to know for now. Don't worry about me."

"I'll always worry about you," I muttered softly as he pulled his hand away from mine.

"Don't," he sighed.

"Jason, please. I want to make this better. Tell me what I need to do."

"Did you apologize to the boy?" He asked tiredly.

"Yes," I said, remembering how easily Elliot had forgiven me. "I'm telling him everything."

Jason looked at me with a mixture of confusion and concern, "Everything?"

"Everything," I reiterated, my voice shaking a bit.

"You don't have to do that, Cole," he grabbed my hand again, massaging it gently with his thumb.

"I want to," I said, eyes fixed on our hands. "He deserves to know why I did what I did."

"Don't push yourself too far," he said softly.

"I won't," I told him, squeezing his hand in search of comfort.

The bell above the door jingled as another couple walked in, and with a sigh, Jason let go of my hand and slid out of his seat to serve them.

Before he walked away, however, he turned to me and asked, "You know that park down the road?"

"Yeah," I said, not quite sure where he was going with this.

"Meet me on top of the hill tomorrow night. 10:30."

Slowly, I nodded.

Seemingly satisfied with my answer, Jason gave me a small smile before he walked off, leaving me to wonder what he had planned for tomorrow.

×××

"How'd it go?" I asked once Aunt Liza let me back into the house.

"It was really nice," she gushed with a smile. "He's really funny. I think you'd like him."

"Maybe," I shrugged as I leaned against the counter, watching with a small smile as she tried not to jump up and down like a small child. "What did you two do?"

"We ate dinner and talked," she said as she tidied things up a bit.

"Is that all?" I asked with a suggestive wiggle of my eyebrows.

"Cole!" She scoffed and tried to smack me with a spatula. I ducked out of the way, chuckling at her sad excuse for violence.

Once safely out of reach, I leaned against the wall with a smirk and my arms crossed over my chest.

"Anywho," she huffed, placing the spatula in the sink, "It's a school night. Off to bed with you."

"Fine. But I expect more details tomorrow."

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes.

Disappearing up the stairs, I threw myself onto the bed before thinking over the events of today.

I sighed. It was a really long day.

Knowing I wouldn't be getting any sleep anytime soon, I changed into more comfortable clothes, stole a blanket from my bed, and curled up in my window seat to peer up at the stars.

I wondered if Jason was watching them too.

×××

A/N

Another chapter up! Hope you guys liked it.

If you could live a day in the life of another person, who would you choose?

Thanks for the read,
-Anon