Prom

"You look dashing, sweetie," Liza smiled at me as I fidgeted nervously at the bottom of the stairs. I wasn't sure why I was nervous. Maybe it was the restrictive nature of the tuxedo I'd rented, or perhaps the thought that I was going to have to be surrounded by my classmates for a few hours in a confined, sweaty, dancing space. Or maybe it was just the idea that I was going to prom with an actual girl. I hadn't thought about that being a possibility since I first learned of the concept of prom. 

"Thanks," I said, smoothing down the front and straightening my bow tie in the mirror beside the front door. It was all my aunt's doing. If I'd had my way I would've just worn a button up shirt and called it a day. She'd nearly had a heart attack when she heard me say that, and had immediately dragged me to get a rental. The bow tie was also her idea and that weird flower wrist thing I was supposed to give to Emma. I didn't object because if she'd had her way, we would've also been renting a limo, and I had to strategically pick my battles to arrive at this relatively harmless compromise. 

"Come," she gestured for me to get closer to her. I glanced her way and realized she was holding her camera excitedly and I immediately fought down the urge to run. "It's awkward prom picture time."

"I'm glad I'm meeting Emma there," I said as I moved into a suitable position and started to pose for her. I did as many classic poses as I could think of, including finger guns and over the shoulder, praying that the images would never resurface after today.

After a while of that, I looked at the time on my phone and said, "We should probably get going. We're already going to be a little late."

"Right," Liza nodded, turning in tight circles trying to locate her keys. She eventually found them in one of her coat pockets, and after shrugging a different coat on, she opened the front door and gestured for me to lead the way to the car. I shot Emma a quick text that we were running behind and would be there soon before climbing into the passenger's seat. 

For the first half of the ride, my aunt was practically buzzing with excitement. She thankfully didn't say anything embarrassing to me, so I counted my blessings. 

It didn't escape me that the closer we got to the venue, the more quiet and deflated she became though. 

I let her stew in silence until we were parked in front of the hotel's lobby, where several people I recognized were already heading inside to find the rented ballroom.

"What's wrong?" I asked instead of getting out of the car. 

Liza glanced at me briefly before turning her eyes to the steering wheel.

"It's just," she began, "it's another monumental moment in your life and I'm the one experiencing it with you instead of Olivia."

The mention of my mother squeezed my heart a little bit. Instead of letting it show, I reached out and took my aunt's hand.

"She's here," I assured her. "Trust me. She wouldn't miss it for the world."

My aunt smiled sadly, the moment bittersweet as she squeezed my hand.

"I'm sorry I'm such a downer. It's prom night. You're supposed to be having the time of your life!"

"It's okay," I chuckled softly. "I'm glad you're here."

Her smile grew into a less sad one. 

"Now I need you to leave," I finished. 

Liza rolled her eyes and pushed my shoulder as I opened up my car door and stepped out. 

"Have fun!" she called before I shut the door. "And make sure to do something stupid!"

I shook my head as I shut the car door and turned to enter the building. Liza was always saying things like that to try to reverse psychology me into behaving. That was my theory anyway. Either that or she just really wanted me to live a normal, rebellious teenage life. Either way, it made me smile, and I guess that's what really counts.