Nobody

"Aww, does little Dicky Decker have something he wants to say to me?" Derrick taunted.

"Leave me alone," I said, not in the mood for this.

"Oh look, it does speak. I wonder if it'll do it again."

"Leave me the fuck alone," I snarled, turning to glare at the boys trailing behind me down the hall.

"I'm not so sure I like that attitude," Derrick arched a brow as he matched my gaze. "What do you think, Benny?"

My gaze turned to my ex best friend as he crossed his arms over his chest and said, "I think that mouth is gonna get him in trouble."

Derrick smirked. "Without a doubt. Take him out back so we can teach him some manners."

I didn't have a chance to run. Some of the other boys grabbed my arms and started dragging me down the hall.

I didn't bother struggling. I knew what was coming. And some part of me actually welcomed it.

What did I have to live for anyway? I had no family. No friends. Nobody loved me. Nobody ever would. Because who would love a little gay boy like me?

"Look at him. He looks so sad and pathetic," Derrick commented as they held me against the exterior wall of the school. "What's the matter, Dicker? Are you tired out already?"

Tired. I was tired. Of everything.

A slap stung the left side of my face. Grabbing my chin, Derrick turned my head back towards him and said. "Come on, Dicker. Get your head in the game. This isn't nearly as fun without that fire in your eye."

"Fuck off," I spat.

"There it is," his eyes lit up as he slapped me again.

"That all you got?" I taunted, already feeling the sting subsiding.

I wanted, no, needed him to hit me harder. I needed him to make me forget, even if just for a little while.

"Oh, I'm just getting started," he smirked as he punched my stomach.

It was the same routine as a month ago, when it first started. Hit, punch, kick, taunt. And all the while, I could feel Ben watching.

I wondered if he felt anything, knowing it was his fault that his ex best friend was spitting blood onto the pavement. I wondered if he knew he was the reason I wanted to die.

I looked up at him, and for a moment, I thought I saw a hint of remorse flash across his face.

I was probably imagining it.

"Hey, D," his voice caught me off guard. Derrick looked over at him with a questioning brow raised.

I watched as Ben walked forward, whispering something in the other boy's ear.

Derrick pulled away with a thoughtful expression.

Humming a bit, he looked back at me and said, "Sorry, Coley. We've got a few errands to run. Let's do this again sometime."

And with that, they dropped me. I landed in a heap, not even trying to get back up as I watched them walk away.

A few went back into the school, but a few others, including Derrick and Ben, headed out to the parking lot.

At the last moment, I saw Ben look back at me, and for a moment, just for a moment, I thought I saw the old Ben.

But no. That Ben was dead. Just like my mother. Just like me.

×××

I took the bus home, knowing damn well that I wouldn't be able to walk home like this.

Instead I sat curled up by a window, staring out at the gray world and finding irony in how well the oncoming rain reflected my mood.

I did my best to drown out the chaos of the other kids, and it wasn't hard to get lost in my thoughts.

If I died, would anyone care?

Probably not.

Sighing, I realized it was my stop. As quickly as I could, I escaped the hellish vehicle and stepped out onto the sidewalk. A few others stepped out too, already splitting up to go to their homes, but I just looked up at the sky, taking in a deep breath as I tried to relieve the heaviness weighing down on my chest.

A drop of rain landed in my forehead. I wiped it away with the pad of my thumb before letting my feet carry me home.

As I walked up to the front door, I froze in my tracks.

"No," I pleaded as I stared at the door. "No no no no."

In red spray paint, three large letters now adorned my front door.

F

A

G

My father was going to kill me.

×××

A/N

Hey! It's been a few days. Sorry about that. Does anyone else feel a little depressed right now? I just get so into character when I'm writing that I can feel the same weight on my chest that Cole is feeling. It's the 4D effect, I guess.

Anywho, if you could travel in time, where, or rather when, would you go?

I'd like to travel to the era when top hats were an everyday thing. That is my happy place.

Thanks for the read,
-Anon