Chapter 29

Ryder stood up from the bed, running his hands through his hair. Even in this situation, I couldn’t help but to admire his good looks. “I’m going to call some of our allies, see if they’ll help.”

“Maybe I should just leave. I don’t want to cause war. It’s too messy.” I bit my lip. I love the fight, the kill, the blood, but even I know a losing battle. 

Seventeen packs against one? Yeah, that’s a definite loss.

“No. You belong beside me. The moon goddess wouldn’t have made you my mate if I was destined to send you way.” It made me feel good to know that he wanted me by his side so badly that he’d lose his pack for me, but it’s just not logical. Nevertheless, I sighed.

“Fine, I’ll fight then. I’m the best fighter you’ve got.” 

He shook his head. “Ha, no. I’m not interested in letting them kill you. You that they want your head on a sliver plater. It would be stupid to out you in the battle field.”

“Well, I need to do something!” My voice got louder. “I need to redeem myself. I need to earn the packs forgiveness, and I’m not going to do that sitting on the sidelines watching them all get slaughtered!” 

“I just need you to be safe. I’ve lost you too many times already.” 

I softened. “Let’s just see what allies you can gather and then we’ll figure something out.” 

I hugged him.

He seemed surprised, but still wrapped his arms around me. I now know why people say that a hug from your mate is the best kind. It made me feel warm and safe. Even a bloodthirsty wolf like me needs to feel protected once in a while.

He pulled away first. “I’m going to start making calls. I’ll be in my office if you need me. I suggest you go to sleep. It’s about eleven, but do whatever you want, but don’t leave the property. I can’t trust that even one of our own wont decide to take things into their own hands.”

“Yes sir!” I saluted him. “See, I can be like a pack wolf.” I smirked.

He smiled, his eyes twinkling. “Just don’t get yourself in too much trouble.”

“Who? Little old me?” I gave him my most innocent face. 

He stole a kiss on my cheek and I growled at him. 

“No kissing.” 

He just chuckled and walked out of the room. 

*

I got bored after an hour of laying around and doing nothing. 

It was around two in the morning. I decided to make my way downstairs.

I figured that everyone would be asleep by now., and I really want a burger.

I made my way into the kitchen.

I grabbed the ground beef from the refrigerator and started to cook it.

“You should leave.”

I gasped in surprise and turned around. 

My brother sat at the kitchen nook. The lights were dimmed so I could only see half of his face. 

“Dammit, Jay. You scared me.” I flipped my burger so that it wouldn’t burn.

“You should leave.” He repeated darkly. 

“Jay, I know I’m not your favorite person, but-”

He cut me off. “My favorite person? Mikayla, I hate you. You are one of them. A rouge. Just like the ones that killed Dad. Don’t bother telling me that you are different either. You murdered all of those innocent wolves. We’re a dying race enough as it is without my sister becoming some kind of serial killer!”

I clenched my teeth. “Don’t talk to me like I’m a monster or something!” I yelled at him.

“You are a monster! You’re a disgrace! Our father would have been ashamed of you. In fact, he would have disowned you and then killed you.” I didn’t even know what to say. What do you say when your brother tell you that your dead father would have hated you? 

“After all that’s what should be done, but no. The only reason you are still breathing is because you are an alpha’s mate. So, instead of being executed, you are going to drag a whole pack down with you. Well, guess what baby sister? You are still going to die.” 

“Enough!” A deep voice boomed. I breathed a sigh of relief. If Jay kept saying things like that to me, I might have attacked him. “You will respect your luna or I will rip out your throat myself, best friend or not.” Ryder wasn’t yelling anymore, but he was still talking loudly. “If you have traitorous thoughts, you are unfit to be my beta.”

“Ryder, no. What he was saying was true. As my brother by blood, he has a right to tell me what he’s thinking.” I pulled him back. “Let’s just go to bed.”

He didn’t say another word to Jay, but allowed me to pull him up the stairs.

Once we were back in Ryder’s room, he slammed the door behind him. 

“What’s the news with the allies?”

”No go. They either are staying out of it or joining the other side.” He looked so stressed. 

“Come here.” I wrapped my arms around him. “Don’t think about it anymore tonight. Let’s just go to sleep. We’ll figure out a plan in the morning.”

After getting into bed and turning off the lights, I snuggled into Ryder’s arms. 

From now on, I’m going to embrace having Ryder as a mate. The way this war is starting out, I never know if the next day will be my last.

_________________________________________

That's it?!

Yeah, sorry. Really short update. 

When I go back and edit everything, I'm probably going to add in another scene of two. 

I just ran out of time today. It's only 11 pm, but I need to be able to get up tomorrow to study.

I have finals Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Because of that, I'm not positive if there will be an update on Wednesday or not. 

I will try my best, but no promises.

This is going to a really short Author's note. 

FOUR Chapters and an Epilogue left!

VOMMENT!

Anubis xx