( 007 ) seven!

based off the song 'when you love someone' by james tw. i won't put in the lyrics but i'll put in the song above, listen as you read! the song came out abt a year ago but i still like it lol

finn sighs, rubbing his face with his hands. he's waiting on his son's teacher to show up. finn got to the meeting thomas' teacher had requested. thomas, his son, is in the third grade, and according to the email ms. mann sent, he's been having some behavioural issues.

the teacher walks in the door a moment later. "ah, mr. wolfhard," she says. "sorry to keep you waiting." they shake hands and finn looks at her expectantly.

"now, thomas has been a delight to have in my class," she begins. "he's very bright, but lately he just hasn't been applying the same amount of effort he usually does. there have been incidents with other students. one boy, in particular, has been on the receiving end of thomas' forceful ways."

"'forceful ways'," finn repeats. "you mean, my kid has been beating up other kids?"

"yes, if you prefer that way of things." the teacher leaned forward. "this was very sudden, as well. is there anything at home that may have been a contributing factor in thomas' behaviour change?"

finn's mind flashes back to everything that's happened in the last month. "nothing we can't handle." he stands. "thank you for this, but i need to get going." ms. mann nods and says to email her if he has any questions.

finn calls to his nine year old son to load up into the car. "we've got to go get allison, and i'm late, so let's go."

thomas buckles up and most of the ride is quiet. "thomas," finn begins after a while in a stern tone. "your teacher tells me that you've been beating up the other kids." no response. "thomas, i'm speaking to you."

"they deserve it, dad," the boy mumbles.

"no one deserves to be punched. when we get home, before we leave to go to mom's, we're going to have a little talk." finn pulls into the parking lot of the daycare his three year old daughter, allison, attends.

"daddy!" the little girl squeals as she sees him walk into the room. she runs to him and he scoops her up in his arms and checks her out.

back at home, thomas rushes into the house to get packed to spend the night at his mother's. finn 'helped' allison pack her bag. the dark-haired man sat at the edge of the little girl's bed, watching her dance around the room while throwing clothes into a bag. it pained him if how much she resembled her mother. allison had her eyes and her smile. finn thought of his ex-wife everyday, wishing that it didn't have to end like this.

about a couple hours after coming home, finn rounded his children up again back into his car. thomas sat up in the front, because he insisted that his mom let him do it. he only sat in the front with finn on the way to his other house.

the ride was unusually quiet. ordinarily, thomas would be chattering about his plans, but today was different.

"what's up, bud?" finn asked. "usually, i can't get you to stop talking!" thomas said nothing. "tommy?"

"why don't you and momma live together like you used to?"

"it's hard to explain."

"jameson doesn't have to go back and forth between his parents. they live together. he says his parents still love each other."

"jameson, the kid you punched?" finn guessed. he takes his son's silence as a yes. "ignore jameson. he doesn't get two houses."

"i don't want two houses! i want to be a normal family. alli, what do you think?" thomas turns back to his sister, who nods in agreement.

finn sighs. "thomas, she's too young to get involved. you'll understand one day, i promise." they pull into the driveway of the newly bought house. finn saw his ex-wife, standing in the doorway in the front, watching them pull in. finn's heart ached when he saw y/n. it happened every time. he remembered all the nights where they stayed up taking, and messing around, and just being teenagers in love.

thomas flew out of the car, running up to him mom. "mommy!" allsion squealed, and she tried to escape the clutches of her seatbelt. finn unbuckled allison from her car seat and walked her up. instead of kissing them goodbye and leaving, he asked y/n if they could talk.

"sure, come on in. make it quick though, dinner is almost ready." she lead finn to the living room and the two sat on the couch.

"i met with thomas' teacher today, and apparently he's been fighting the other kids. one kid, in particular, has been starting it verbally. that's what it looks like from thomas' side if the story."

y/n bit her lip. "do you know why?"

"thomas said that this kid was going on about his perfect, normal, married parents."

y/n looked very angry. "i'm gonna beat this kids ass."

"n/n, they're literally nine, maybe younger."

"do i look like i give a shit? no. i'll email his parents, don't worry." she turned towards the stairs and called out the little boy's name. he came running.

"what are you still doing here, daddy?" he cocks his head to the side. finn moves away from y/n and pats the space in between them.

"we just want to talk to you, honey," y/n said, calmly. thomas sits and swings his legs. "now, baby, remember that there's no such thing as a perfect family, right?"

"but jameson said-"

"jameson is wrong," finn interrupts. "sometimes moms and dads fall out of love, but that doesn't mean anything. we still love you, and alli, and we're both here for you." thomas hugged his parents and little allison joined in, having come back downstairs wondering why her brother was no longer playing with her.

finn wished they could stay like this forever, but he knew it would never last. he kissed his kids goodbye, and spoke a few more parting words to y/n. his house would be empty, but only for a couple days. the only thing that mattered was that he'd be seeing them again. and that was ok.

lmao this was a good idea and then i wrote it and now it sucks :). this was so hard to write for sone reason tho smh. unedited as always too, oof. love y'all! also i changed the cover, do u like?