( 013 ) thirteen!

*sips tea bc i got carried away a g a i n*

age 5:

finn and his older brother, nick, were playing catch in their front yard. finn stood across the yard from his 10 year old brother, who was holding the red rubber ball, waiting to catch it. nick's attention was diverted from their game to something in street, behind finn. "look!" he cried, dropping the ball, and running to the fence. finn pouted, when he realized that his brother had forgotten about their game.

"nick!" he whined, going up to his brother and tugging on his sleeve. "we were playing!" nick pulled his arm out of his little brother's grasp.

"look!" he insisted, pointing to a very large truck across the street. finn looked.

"ok, so?" the little boy did not understand why a truck had ruined their game.

nick sighed and rolled his eyes. "so, that is a moving truck, finn. we are getting a new neighbor!" at the age of 10, nick had the reputation of being a know-it-all.

"or maybe the old ones are leaving to get away from you!" finn grumbled. "can we play catch again?" nick shrugged, and ran to get the ball again.

finn got back in position, and waited. nick threw the ball, and it soared over finn's head, and past the fence. "great job!" finn glared. nick glared right back. finn ran to the gate, but nick yelled at him to stop. "mom says we can't leave the yard without her or dad here!"

"then go tell mommy we lost our ball," finn replied. nick stomped into the house and finn looked through the spaces in the metal fence. a car was already parked in the driveway of the house with the moving truck in front. people were unloading boxes, and a little girl stood off to the side, watching. finn saw his ball roll towards her, and it stopped as it hit her leg. the girl picked it up and looked around. she saw finn and ran over.

"is this yours?" she asked shyly. finn nodded, just as shy. the girl tossed the ball back over the fence to him. he ignored it, wondering why she didn't leave immediately.

"y/n? y/n!" a tall woman saw her daughter and ran over. "sweetie, please tell momma where you are going." she saw finn. "hello," the lady said nicely. "what's your name?" finn didn't respond, because his mommy had told him not to talk to strangers and this lady was a stranger.

"finn?" he turned and saw his mommy standing on the porch. "who is this?" she asked, joining them.

"i'm y/m/n y/l/n," the lady said, sticking put her hand. "and this is my daughter, y/n."

"i was returning his ball," y/n said, pointing to it.

"i'm mary wolfhard," finn's mother said, shaking y/n's mom's hand. "this is my son, finn. my other son, nick, is in the house." mary invited the two in, and y/n and finn stood in the yard shyly, as their moms began to chat on the porch. y/n casually strolled over and grabbed the ball.

"wanna play?" she asked. finn nodded, his curls flopping and a smile growing on his face. and just like that the two were best friends.

age 8

finn and y/n had become the best of friends, after y/n returned his ball. now they were attending the same school, and it was nearing the end of third grade. the two were hanging out at y/n's house, playing video games. so far, y/n had beaten finn three times, and he beat her once. "ha!" she laughed, throwing down her controller, as the word 'finish' flashed across the screen. "beat you again!"