( 025 ) twenty-five!

"finn, i have something to tell you," y/n began nervously. finn paused his act of strumming his beloved guitar, and looked up at his friend. the two were in finn's basement where he kept all of his musical instruments, and he was demonstrating his favourite chord. he noticed that she looked somewhat scared, and he motioned for her to sit down next to him. it was about a couple weeks before calpurnia was to go on tour, so y/n decided (with much convincing from ayla) to tell finn about her feelings. if it went badly, she wouldn't have to spend too much time with him before him and the rest of calpurnia left for their tour.

"what's up?" he asked, and y/n took a shaky breath.

"i like you, like like you. a lot, actually," y/n laughed in a breathy sort of way and looked down at her hands. finn sat there, feeling mildly uncomfortable.

"y/n, im sorry but i just like you as a friend," he said gently, giving her a look of sympathy. y/n stood abruptly, but finn grabbed her wrist before she could walk away. "i'm really sorry," he told her sincerely.

"finn, it's fine," she promised, not sure if she believed it or not. "i'm fine, i'll be fine, just- let me go, please." her eyes were swimming with tears and finn released her.

once she left the room, she leaned against the wall and took a few deep breaths before exiting his hoise and walking towards her own. the chilly october wind flung her hair in every direction, and she smiled, momentarily forgetting the disaster that had happened mere moments ago. but the memory flooded her mind once more and she trudged home.

finn stared out of the window of the van he and his friends were riding in, watching trees and houses and cars whiz by. malcolm and ayla were preoccupied by their cellular devices and jack was snoring away, his favourite book, to kill a mockingbird, on his lap.

finn couldn't wait to get back home, which was only hours away. he'd been thinking about y/n a lot over the past few weeks and he really missed her. everytime she facetimed the group, his heart leaped and he just wanted to be next to her. he hoped that she still had feelings for him, after all this time.

malcolm laughed, jerking finn out of his daydream. "look at the meme y/n sent me." finn filled with jealousy, which immediately made him feel guilty. y/n wasn't his girlfriend, and even if she was, she was allowed to have male friends. finn was not one to tell her what to do, she was scary when she got mad.

after an excruciatingly painful amount of time, finn's dad pulled up to his house, where y/n and mary wolfhard were waiting on the porch. ayla shoved jack awake and not-so-gracefully clambered out of the van. she ran to meet her best friend and the once silent neighborhood was filled with shrieks from two girls.

"i missed you so much!" y/n shouted at ayla, clutching her tightly.

"i missed you way more!" ayla shouted back, returning the bone-crushing hug. y/n shrieked once more when she saw jack exiting the van, and threw herself on top of him. he stumbled back a little, having just woken up, and he was taken by surprise by his close friend launching herself at him. finn got out next and y/n rushed to greet him.

"about what you told me before i left-" he began before saying hello, but y/n cut him off.

"water under the bridge," she assured him, smiling, but finn's heart sank. that wasn't what he wanted to hear.

he opened his mouth to contradict her, but that that moment, malcolm joined the rest of the group and y/n lit up like a christmas tree.

"malcolm!" she cried and ran to hug him. he dropped his bag and swept her off her feet, spinning her around in a circle before setting her back down again. he began pressing kisses all over her face, and she giggled.

"i missed you so much!" he exclaimed in between each peck. jack and ayla had begun to unpack the van, but finn gelt as though the wind had been knocked out of him.

"since when were they a thing?" he muttered to ayla, grabbing a suitcase from the trunk.

"before we left, after you, y'know, rejected y/n, her and malcolm started talking and hanging out a lot, and they became a couple just before we left. that's why y/n was always facetiming malcolm and why he was always on his phone. jack and i knew, and we thought you did, too. that's why we didn't say anything about it," she finished, hoisting a duffel bag onto her shoulder.

finn remained quiet as the four of them, plus y/n, unpacked the rest of the van. he couldn't bear to their intertwined hands, whispering in each others ears. finn silently beat himself up over losing you. he had a chance, but he let you slip away...

---

hello my favourite people!! i updated for once are you happy? more chapters in this book are on the way, and once im done here, i'll start working on my calpurnia book some more.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO READS THIS AND FOLLOWS ME!!! I HIT 900 FOLLOWERS THIS MORNING I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!