( 020 ) twenty! { m. wheeler }

requested by -positivelyshay thank you!!

mike's eyes closed tightly as he remembered the events that had happened nearly a year ago. his girlfriend had been taken, taken by a monster. she wasn't in their world anymore, and mike was sure that she would never return. he missed y/n.

his mother knew something was off...again. mike had seemed happier after his depressive episode two years ago. y/n used to come over everyday. now, karen never saw y/n. once she tried to ask mike about her, but his brown eyes filled with tears and he stomped away to the basement. she was puzzled, but didn't follow, knowing he would talk to her when he was ready.

nancy had talked to him about her, and karen was filled with an emotion she couldn't describe. mike wouldn't talk to his own mother, but at least the two were getting along.

mike used to softly cry himself to sleep every night after y/n had been...taken for about three months. eventually, he began to talk to his friends less and less outside of school. they understood, letting him grieve on his own, but still asking him to join things with them, just to make sure he felt included. mike appreciated that, it calmed him to know that they weren't upset at him for never being around.

y/n had been the love of his life. he had never said "i love you" to eleven. their thing had been 'promise', but promises were never kept for very long. y/n was the one who made him happiest, the one who could coax out even the tiniest smile on one of his bad days, the only one he didn't mind taking too many polaroids of him, the only one he trusted to hold his entire heart. she was gone and he was sure he wouldn't find another.

y/n's eyes slowly opened, her head pounding. she attempted to sit up, her joints stiff from laying in such an uncomfortable position for such a long time. there was goo everywhere, and grime covered her entire body. her hair was tangled and knotted and she was in desperate need of a bath. none of those things mattered to her right now as her mind scrambled to piece together the events that had seemingly happened only a few days previously.

the monster had arrived, y/n could feel it. eleven wasn't here to help her this time, having been dealing with her own personal family problems that had arisen out of nowhere. her powers could only hold it off for so long, hopefully enough time for her to save her friends. her entire body shook as she trained her gaze on the monster, envisioning it dead, her friends safe and alive. her fingers trembled as she tried to control its movements. sparks flew from her hands, and the monster reached out towards her, mike, and the rest of the party(including max). the monster howled with pain as the sparks burned it, but it kept advancing. tears pricked at the girl's eyes as she soon realized that not all of them would make it out alive. the monster's long, thin fingers reached out and grabbed her waist. y/n gasped as it squeezed the breath out of her. it began to drag her towards the portal in which it had come. her hands fell as it drained her of her energy and powers. her head fell back and her body went limp. tears were pouring out of her eyes now, but she wasn't the only crying this time. the entire party had at least shed one tear as they watched the horror scene before their very eyes. mike watched as his beautiful girlfriend was dragged away into an unknown place. max held onto lucas' hand tightly and used her other hand to cover her mouth, to hold back a choking sob. if she lost it, mike would go insane. will and dustin held onto each other for support. y/n had been close to all of them, and this cut into all of their hearts. y/n managed to make eye contact with mike and the last thing he heard was, "i love you."