Chapter 2

I stepped into the kitchen and smiled at the sight of my dad hugging my mom. My mom was washing the dishes by the sink and my dad's arms were wrapped around her waist as his chin rested on her shoulder. It was a sight that made my heart flutter because even after twenty years of marriage, they were still in love.

"Mom, Dad," I said, remembering why I came to the kitchen in the first place. "Can I go to the mall with Aria?"

My dad let go of my mom and turned to face me, smiling. My mom also turned to face me, her face reddening in the process. She often got embarrassed after showing public displays of affection, which I never understood. If you were in love, wouldn't you want to show it to the world?

After a moment, my mom's eyebrows furrowed and I internally groaned as I expected what would come next. Cursing myself for not asking my dad when he was alone, I awaited her words.

"Sarah, you go out too much," my mom scolded, looking disappointed. "Girls should stay home and help their mothers."

I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes because I hadn't left the house in a week. To most that was a long time, but to my mom that was a second.

Looking to my dad for support, I noticed the apologetic look he wore - the way he always looked at me when my mom scolded me. But, him and I both knew there was no point in arguing with my mom.

And I understood it. I always had because my mom was raised in another country where the culture was different. In her specific family especially, they were taught women and men had defined roles they must fill - women were docile and men were active. Which meant that, women were meant to perform house duties while men were to be breadwinners. 

This was how my mom was raised to think. She lived it herself growing up, which is why I sympathized because often, what we were taught as children was what we taught to others as adults. 

"Fine, you can go," my mom said, catching me off guard.

Breaking out into a grin, I exclaimed, "Thank you!"

My mom shook her head and turned around, but I noticed she was smiling. My dad winked at me, equally as amused because my mom was softhearted, meaning it wasn't hard to get her to change her mind. So despite everything, I loved her. I loved her even though sometimes, she made life feel unfair.

*****

Aria and I were walking to the mall. The sun was beaming down on us and the sky was a clear blue because it was still summer, and I glanced at my friend who had her black hair tied up. My own black hair was spilled around me in natural waves, reaching my hips, and I realized I should've tied it up. I'd only been outside for ten minutes and I was already sweating.

"So, what's up?" Aria asked, glancing at me. "Sometimes you just randomly scowl."

"I went to join the Gamers Club yesterday," I said, growing annoyed at the memory immediately.

"Really? How'd it go?"

"Horrible." I fought back the urge to scream at the world that boys were stupid. "I went to join and they told me I can't join because I'm a girl. Literally, just because I'm a girl. Can you believe that?"