Epilogue

I stood with my family in the gymnasium. The room was packed with families and students, and the students were wearing black graduation gowns. The ceremony had just finished and we were left to mingle with each other on our last day of school.

"I'm so proud of you," my dad said as he pulled me into a hug. "You got into Waterloo and you graduated."

I hugged my dad and smiled when my mom joined the hug. Glancing at Aiden, I rolled my eyes when he shook his head. He was never one to show affection, so I didn't expect it out of him.

"Thank you," I said, pulling away.

Glancing to my right, I spotted Josh with his dad. They were talking and my heart felt warm when I saw that the both of them were smiling. After Josh's speech, Josh's dad started trying to be more open to the idea of expressing their feelings. It hadn't been easy for him to change, but every day he was getting better at expressing himself and letting Josh be who he wanted to be.

As if sensing I was staring at him, Josh looked at me. He smiled and waved, and I waved back. And then to my surprise, Josh and his dad walked over to us. When my eyes met Josh's dad's eyes, I grinned when he also began to smile at me.

When Josh and his dad reached us, my mom began to frown. She looked confused and she glanced at me, wondering what was going on. I blushed.

"Hi, congratulations," Josh's dad said, extending his hand towards me.

"Thank you," I said, taking his hand.

We shook hands and Josh's dad smiled again. It was an awkward smile and it didn't quite reach his eyes, but I knew he was trying. That was the least we could ask for, and I was happy Josh was able to move him with his words.

"Hi Mister and Misses Moore," Josh said, smiling at my family.

Josh nodded at Aiden who smiled back, and my dad grinned at Josh. My mom also began to smile, but she seemed hesitant. I had a feeling I knew why.

"I'm going to go grab snacks," Josh's dad said, walking off.

Josh's dad left and my family and Josh stood alone. And suddenly, I had the urge to tell them about my relationship with Josh. We'd been together for months now and I realized it was time they knew what we were.

"Josh is my boyfriend," I said, blushing when everyone's eyes widened. "We've been dating for a couple of months now and... he makes me happy. We're both going to study Computer Science at Waterloo, too."

My family was speechless. Their eyes moved between Josh and I repeatedly for a few seconds, leaving me blushing. But, Josh grabbed my hand and squeezed it, letting me know that everything would be okay.

"Sarah..." my mom finally said, frowning. "You're too young to date."

"Josh is a good guy," I said. "And I'm strong enough to handle a relationship. I can take care of myself and you know that."

We stared at each other for a moment and I sighed lightly when she nodded. Ever since my speech, my mom was more wiling to listen to me. Before she'd ignore me and try to force her views on me, but finally she was realizing that I should be heard.

"I know," my mom said, smiling. "You're my baby and I don't want you getting hurt... But, I trust you'll be okay."

"I would never hurt her," Josh said. "I can promise you that."

My mom smiled at Josh and my eyes softened at the sight. Leaning my head against Josh's shoulder, I grew thankful of how my life had changed. Things were getting better every day and I looked forward to what life had in store for me.

"Hi," a blonde girl, Jessica, said, bringing our attention to her.

She stood in front of us with her boyfriend, Jameson. They were holding hands and grinning at us, seeming excited.

"Hi," I said, surprised because I had never talked to her before.

"I just wanted to let you know that your speech really moved me," she said. "Being a girl sucks sometimes and we need to make a change so it won't suck for future generations. I'm glad you had the guts to do that."

"Your speech was incredible, too," Jameson told Josh. "It sucks how we have to hide our emotions. I'm glad a guy like you talked about that."

I smiled at the both of them, touched by their words. Glancing at Josh, my heart grew warm at the sight of him blushing. He was smiling, but he looked embarrassed by Jameson's words. I squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"Thank you," I said. "I'm glad we made a difference. That's what we wanted to do."

"You guys really did make a difference," Jessica said. "And don't stop making differences in the world. Okay?"

I grinned. "Okay."

*****

Josh and I were sitting on the swing set at his park. My feet were dangling beneath me and I swung lightly, and Josh was still. He was staring off into the distance and I stared at him, suddenly amazed at how far we came.

"Can you believe we once hated each other," I said, bringing Josh's attention to me.

"I never hated you," Josh said. "I thought you were annoying, but I never hated you."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Jeez, thanks."

Josh chuckled at that and shook his head, and I smiled. A silence overlapped us and I sighed lightly, thinking about how I could spend my time with Josh like this for the rest of my life. Even if we weren't talking, just having him with me brought this peace to me that I never wanted to lose.

"You taught me a lot over a course of ten months," Josh said. "You changed me. You made me a better person and you made my life better."

"You did the same for me," I said quietly. "Without you, I would never have learned that boys had issues. My mom would never have understood me the way I wanted her to. You've done so much for me Josh. You... you make me so happy."

Josh took my hand. "I'm glad to hear that. I'm so happy we're going to the same university."

"Me too."

Josh and I stared at each other for a moment as the sun set. We didn't speak and we just took each other in, and I soaked in the moment. I soaked Josh in and thought about all the memories we shared. We'd been through so much and we'd grown so much together, and the last year had been the best year of my life. Thanks to Josh, I was at my happiest and I was positive things would continue to get better.

"I love you," I said softly.

"I love you, too," Josh said.

The way he said it left me knowing there was no questioning how he felt. And with that, I pulled him towards me and kissed him, knowing I was lucky. I had fallen in love with someone who had changed my life for the better, and that was something I felt like everyone needed. Not just romantically, but we all need that person who could help us through our journeys. Life is a a wild ride, but having someone there for you through the ups and downs makes it all the better.

I wanted to make a difference with my club, and with my words and Josh's help, I had. We had changed our parents perspectives, influenced our peers, and even improved our own lives. Together, we had accomplished so much and I grew excited for what we would accomplish for the years to come.

The End