Chapter 4

"Is it possible for me to start a club?" I asked Barbara, my guidance counsellor.

After telling Aria my idea and having her tell me I was a genius, I rushed to Barbara. A month of school was almost done and I needed to get my club started immediately. Because if I wanted to leave an impact on my peers before I graduated, I had to start recruiting members and educating them now.

"Definitely," Barbara said, smiling. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking of starting a club where I'll educate others on the issues girls face. I want to show others the sexism we face and teach them to be more open minded," I said. "I... I don't really know what I'll do in the club exactly, but somehow I want to spread messages about equality. And I think a club is the perfect way to do that."

Barbara analyzed at me for a moment. I held her gaze, hoping she'd agree. After getting the idea to start a club, I'd become really excited about it. I really wanted it to work out, so I feared my excitement would be  crushed if Barbara didn't agree.

"That sounds amazing!" Barbara exclaimed. "Wow, I'm proud of you. That's a great thing to want to do."

Smiling, I grew relieved. Excitement filled me as I realized I was about to make a change. A small one, but still a change.

"Here's what you do," Barbara said. "Make some posters to promote your club, draw people in and make those people promote your club, and eventually you will have enough people to spread your message to. Starting a new club isn't easy, so the first few weeks are going to be a lot of work."

"That's fine," I said. "As long as it ends up worth it, I don't mind putting in work."

"That's good." Barbara smiled. "Okay, I hope everything goes well. I'm rooting for this club."

"Thank you."

I grinned at Barbara, thankful for her support. With her encouragement, I had a good feeling about the club.

*****

"Wow, I can't believe we're doing this," Aria said, grabbing half the posters I was carrying from me. "You got this idea two days ago and now we're going to hang posters around the school for it. That's amazing progression."

"It's crazy," I agreed, smiling. "I hope it goes well."

"It will. I have a good feeling everyone will love the club."

Grinning at Aria, we made our separate ways. I was going to put up the posters that promoted our club on the left side of the school and Aria was doing the same for the right side of the school. I hated how we had to separate, but at least the job would be done quick.

Going to every bulletin board in every hallway, I stuck a poster onto it. The poster was small - the size of a regular paper - but I hoped it stood out with its bold colours of pink and yellow. The poster was really simple, but I hoped it would catch the attention of others with its eye-catching words.

After half an hour, I had almost made it back to where I started. Sighing, I rolled my shoulders back as fatigued washed over me, but I held up one of the last posters I needed to put up. I had already stuck tape behind it and my hand moved towards the dark blue bulletin board.  

But, before I could stick the poster onto the board, it was plucked from my hand. Surprised, I whirled around to see who had taken it and my eyes widened when I saw Josh there, staring at the poster. His eyebrows were furrowed and flushed at the confused look her wore. He seemed to be judging my club and immediately, I grew defensive.

"Can I have my poster back?" I demanded, extending my hand towards Josh.

"I'm Proud of Who I am," Josh read slowly, his eyes still on the poster. "That's an awfully long name for a club."

My cheeks heated up some more because I knew it wasn't a good club name, but I just couldn't think of anything better. And it took everything in me to not snatch my poster from him.

"It has a great message at least," I shot back. "Gamers Club? That's such a basic name for a club."

Josh's eyes rose to meet mine and his eyebrows raised. I glared at him, fuming at how nonchalant he was. Something about him and his unreasonably calm self made me so mad.

"You started a club because our club didn't want you?" Josh asked. "What's your club about?"

"No, I started a club because I realized a lot of people in our school need to be educated. It was thanks to you guys I realized that," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "I created a club where I'll spread the message that girls and boys should be treated equally, and girls can do anything boys can do."

Josh kept staring at me. He seemed to be judging me and slowly, more blush crept into my cheeks. Even though my skin tone was a light brown tone, the redness of my cheeks showed clearly. I hated that. I hated how unsettled he made me feel and all I wanted to do was leave. 

"Your club is pointless," Josh said. "I'm sorry to tell you this again, but the world is unfair. You just have to accept that and move on. There's no point in wasting your time because no one will join your club."

He was incredibly blunt and if I was someone else, I would have been hurt by his words. I was offended, I admit, but I was also annoyed. Words had the power to change things. I was sure of that, so why Josh was being so negative? The world was unfair, but it didn't have to stay that way.

"My club will make a difference," I said, finally snatching my poster away from him. "I know it will, so leave me alone. I don't have time to talk to close-minded people like you."

Turning around, I pinned the poster to the board. Josh's eyes lingered on me - I could feel it - and I glanced at him. He shook his head slowly and then turned around and walked off, leaving me alone. I relaxed at that, but a part of me was also riled up.

Stupid Josh. With him having no faith in me, I realized I had to make a difference. To prove him and anyone who thought I wouldn't make a difference wrong, I was going to make sure my club was popular. That will who them.