Chapter 20

I was walking down a sidewalk, heading to the bus stop. School had finished a few minutes ago and I was ready to go home. But at the thought of going home, I thought of the chores my mom would force me to do. With Aiden being home, I felt annoyed.

"Sarah."

I stopped walking, surprised by the voice I heard. Turning around, I had to fight back a look of surprise when I saw Josh walking towards me.

"Hey," he said, stopping in front of me.

"Looks like the tables have turned," I said. "Now you're chasing me down after school."

To my surprise, Josh chuckled. The sound surprised me and I couldn't help but smile. Ever since Josh had joined my club, he'd been acting differently. It was a good change, however.

"It's been a while since we've hung out... on our own," Josh said. "I was thinking..."

Josh trailed off and ran his fingers through his hair, seeming uneasy. He seemed lost for words, but I knew exactly what he was implying. It left me smirking.

"You enjoy our time together, don't you," I teased.

Josh rolled his eyes, but I caught the blush that ran into his cheeks. I laughed lightly and Josh shot me a look, which left me laughing harder.

"Not really, I'm just... bored," Josh mumbled.

"I thought you were so busy," I said, raising an eyebrow. "That's what you told me the first time I asked you to join my club."

Josh narrowed his eyes at me and I shook my head with a smile still on my face. Although Josh was changing, there were things about him that would never change. One of those things was his pride.

"I'm tempted to run back to my car," Josh said.

"I'd love to hang out," I said, grinning. "What do you have planned?"

"It's a surprise."

I stared at Josh, wondering what he had in mind. He smiled then and shrugged, and I sighed. Curiosity was rushing through me, but I knew I'd have to wait.

"Are we going now?" I asked.

"No, I'll pick you up in an hour," Josh said. "I have to... do something."

I cocked my head and gave Josh a confused look. "Okay."

Josh gave me a small smile and turned around then, and he walked back to the school parking lot. I stared after him for a moment and then snapped out of it, and walked to the bus stop. As I got on the bus, my mind was filled with ideas of what Josh had in mind.

*****

Staring at my reflection, I pulled down my dress that ended a few inches above my knee. I was wearing sheer stockings along with my dress because of the cold weather, but I knew my mom still wouldn't be happy with the length of my dress. She was in the kitchen and I anxiously hoped Josh would come soon to avoid her words. He said he was almost ready and would be over soon, and I felt like a ticking time bomb. Not only was I wearing a short dress, but I had asked my dad for permission to leave the house rather than her.

Peering out the window in hopes of seeing Josh's car, I jumped when I heard my name. I whirled around and froze when I saw my mom standing a few meters away, her eyes blazing at the sight of me. Gulping, I prepared myself for her words.

"Why are you dressed up?" my mom asked, her eyes glancing at the length of my dress. "It's cold, Sarah. And... where are you going? You never asked me to go out."