Chapter 19

Josh, Aaron, and I were setting up the room for the video game event. Aaron was pushing chairs around, organizing them so that they were surrounding the tables that stood in front of the four TVs we were borrowing. Josh was setting up the consoles and making sure everything worked correctly, and I was setting up the snack table.

As I poured chips into a bowl, my eyes found themselves going to where Josh stood by the TVs. There was a frown on his face as he tried to untangle wires and something in me softened when I thought about his words. He had joined my club for me. He was here because of me. I knew I should want him to join for the purpose of my club, but the thought of him joining for me made my heartbeat flutter.

"Hey," Aaron said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Do you need help?"

"Oh, no," I said, blushing when I realized chips were pouring out of the bowl. "Whoops, my bad."

I cleaned up the chips that landed on the table and threw them into the trashcan. Blush flooded into my cheeks as I hoped Aaron hadn't caught me staring at Josh.

"I'm excited," Aaron said, his eyes roaming around the large room we were in. "It's going to be lit."

"I hope so," I said, smiling. "I really hope everyone has fun."

"Trust me, everyone will." Aaron's eyes softened. "You worked hard and it shows. Even if for some crazy reason this event flops, I admire everything you've done."

My smile widened at his words. Aaron was a sweet guy and also a great addition to the club. He went beyond the minimum duties he was required to do and it touched me. To see a boy so passionate about a club about women's rights made my heart warm.

"You know, I was thinking we rarely get to talk to each other," Aaron said. "Alone, I mean. So... I was thinking we should-"

"Sarah," Josh interrupted, walking towards me. "I need your help with the consoles."

"What's wrong?" I asked, frowning.

"Come with me."

Josh turned around and walked off to the TV he had been at. I shot Aaron an apologetic look and followed Josh, wondering what was wrong. I wasn't confident in my abilities with technology, so I wasn't sure if I would be much help.

Reaching the TV, I watched Josh grab two controllers. Their wires were tangled up together and I frowned at the sight.

"These wires are driving me insane," Josh said. "Could you help me untangle them?"

"Sure," I said, smiling a bit. "I wonder how this happened."

Josh shook his head, looking annoyed, and my smiled widened. He handed me one controller and I took it, watching as he took the other controller. He started working on untangling the wire and I began to as well.

"You planned this event well," Josh said quietly, surprising me as we got closer to finishing untangling the wires.

"Thank you," I said softly. "Everyone helped."

Josh nodded, his eyes on the wire and I looked up at him. Staring at him, my heart jolted when his eyes flew to mine. We stared at each other for a moment, not saying anything, and my heart raced against my chest. Josh opened his mouth to say something, but then someone knocked on the door.