Chapter 23

The dance was approaching and we had the gym booked for it. It was rarely used, so we were able to start setting up in it a week early. All my club members were currently in the gym, hanging up black and white decorations.

I was hanging up a banner that had the name of my club on it. In the centre of the banner was a picture of my club members and I smiled at the sight. Although I wished we had more members, things had gotten much better. We started with five members, and now we had eleven. There was still half the school year left, so I was confident my goal would eventually be reached.

Turning around after I set up the banner, I looked over to where Josh stood. He was setting up the snack table, organizing the many chairs that would surround it. Amber, Lacey, Cindy and Ashley were also there, helping him out, and I sighed lightly. I knew the reason why they were helping him and as usual, the thought made me uneasy.

As if sensing me, Josh turned to look at me. When our eyes met, he immediately smile and I smiled back shyly. Josh was so much more open now, I realized. His smiles came with ease and I was glad to see the change.

Turning around, I went back to setting up the banner. But as I did that, my mind continued to think about Josh and how he was.

*****

"Do you need help?" Josh asked.

I was on my toes, trying to reach the string of the balloon I had let go of. Embarrassed I couldn't reach it, I huffed and turned to face Josh.

"Yes," I said, glaring up at the balloon.

Josh reached up and grabbed the string with ease, and brought it to me. I took the balloon from him and met his eyes, and my heart stuttered when I saw his eyes were already on mine. They were gentle and I looked around the gym, remembering we were the only ones in it. Everyone had gone home and Josh had offered to finish up setting the sound system while I checked up on everything.

"Thanks," I said, moving away to tie the balloon onto the bleacher.

Josh nodded and walked off, going back to the sound system. I glanced his way and watched as he tugged on wires to fix the sound system. His eyebrows were furrowed and there was a frown on his face, and I smiled at the sight. Shaking my head, I then moved away from the bleacher and made my way towards him, knowing I should help.

Once I reached him, I jumped when a song began to play. Josh grinned at the sound and moved away. He crossed his arms over his chest, looking pleased.

"You did it," I said, smiling. "Thanks, I was afraid we'd have no music for the dance."

"Imagine a dance without music," Josh said, laughing as he turned to face me.

I laughed at the image of people dancing to no music. It looked awkward and I was thankful Josh was able to fix the sound system.

"You know, I love this song," I said softly, realizing the song playing was Never Say Never by The Fray.

"Me too," Josh said, extending a hand towards me. "Do you want to dance?"

My eyes flew wide as Josh stood there, his hand held out. My heart skipped a beat and I was left speechless. A part of me thought I was dreaming.

"I'm guessing that's a no," Josh said, pulling his hand back.

"No!" I exclaimed, grabbing his hand. "I mean... I don't know how to dance. I've never slow danced before."

"It's easy." Josh pulled me to him. "You don't need to be scared."

Josh and I were a few inches away from each other and I blushed. I looked down and my heart pounded against my chest as Josh put his hands on my hips. Gently, I put my arms around his neck and we moved closer.

"All we have to do is sway side-to-side," Josh mumbled, moving. "That's all."

Josh and I began to move side-to-side slowly and my eyes were on the ground. I was nervous. I had never danced before and I had never been so close to Josh. But as we danced, I found myself enjoying our dance. As we held onto each other, silent with nothing but the song playing, I was at peace.

I moved my eyes up then, realizing I should look at Josh. He was already looking at me, his eyes gentle, and I smiled. Josh immediately smiled back and my heart grew warm. I felt happy in his arms and it was a feeling I knew I would hold onto.

When the song ended, an upbeat song came on and Josh and I stopped dancing. I pulled away, blushing, and smiled up at Josh. He ran his fingers through his hair, seeming equally as uncomfortable.

"You're right, it is easy," I said. "I don't know what I was worried about."

"Do you want to go to the dance with me?" Josh asked.

Once again, I was left speechless. My eyes were wide as I stared at Josh, unable to believe he had asked me to the dance. We were close and I considered us friends, but Josh had never hinted at anything more. I was left stunned because of that.

"I need a dance partner," Josh said, forcing a smile when I didn't reply. "And... we seem to be a good pair."

My eyes softened at his words and I smiled. I already had an answer to his question, but I had been too speechless to reply.

"I'd love to go to the dance with you," I said.

Josh broke out into a grin and I smiled at the sight. His was radiating joy and I knew I wanted to see that expression for the rest of my life. I loved bringing it out of him and my heart was racing when I realized I would be going to the dance with him. I couldn't wait.