Chapter 6

Alya had put the video she had made about the ordeal on her blog and tagged it with: Hero without a mask. The news had spread like wildfire.

Danny wasn't very happy with that. Although he did like that this time, everyone knew that Danny Fenton was somewhat of a hero, he didn't want the attention.

But he took it in stride because the more people knew of him, the more would come to him for aid.

His parents had of course also heard the news and immediately asked him many questions about it. He was somehow able to convince them it probably had something to do with the how used he was to ghosts and although they were very worried he acted like it was no big deal. They did test him and found residue of ghosts. They figured this had made him immune and even though they told him to stay away from the akumas, he purposely went looking for them.

After a few weeks you would know Danny had entered the room by the swarm of white following him everywhere and he was dubbed the nickname 'Garcon Papillon', which roughly translates to 'Butterfly boy.'

This particular day Danny was making his way through lunch. Many butterflies perched in his hair, shoulders or backpack and others following. If asked whether he thought this uncomfortable or annoying he would answer with: 'They're good company.'

Suddenly a teen a bit older than Danny came stomping towards him. "Hey butterfly boy!" he sneered. "You think you're so great with all the attention you're getting, don't you."

Danny paused and raised an eyebrow at the guy. "What?"

"You think you can just escape being akumatized?! It happens to everyone here and you're no exception!!" He looked red in the face as he pointed accusingly.

Danny hummed but didn't say anything as the guy continued his rant. "It's gonna happen, I tell you. You can't just escape that so easily and go on living your happy life while we suffer!!"

"Hey!" Suddenly Rose stood next to Danny and glared at the guy towering above both of them. "Don't talk to him like that. You don't know what he's risking!"

"Oh he looks perfectly fine to me." The other shouted.

"You think he likes having to cleanse akumas? Where do you think all the evil that he purifies goes? That's right, he absorbs it!"

Danny wasn't paying much attention as Rose and the guy yelled at each other. No, his eyes were on the purple fluttering insect making its way to the arguing pair. Danny quickly dug his hand into the pocket inside his jaquet and grabbed one of the many pencils he kept stashed there. He threw it and it hit the akuma straight on.

"Nobody touch that!" He shouted and stepped between Rose and the other teen. "You two, stop it." He picked up the pencil that had turned black and immediately the purple outline of a butterfly encased his face.

"Hello, Revengeric. I will give you the po-"

"Sorry," Danny interrupted. "Wrong number. Don't try again." And he snapped the pencil in half, a white butterfly flying out and greeting him. He smiled at it and dropped his snapped pencil in his other inside pocket with the rest.

He turned around and smiled at the kid. "Hey. Good talk. See ya later? Good. Rose, can I talk to you for a second?" He beckoned her over and after scowling at the shocked kid a bit more she followed.

"What is it, Danny?"

"Look Rose. I appreciate you wanting to stand up to me, but you really don't have to."

She opened her mouth to argue but he closed it. "Look. Do you know why he came to pick a fight with me? In particular?"

She frowned in thought. "Because you're the only one that doesn't get akumatized?"

"Exactly. That means that he can shout at me, argue with me or whatever but I won't be turned into a supervillain." He paused to let that sink in. "I let this happen because people need to vent sometimes. They can do it with me. They'll be safe with me there."

Rose was silent for a moment, then she flung forward and hugged him tightly. "You're too good, Danny."

Danny blinked in surprise but hugged her back. He smiled.

Just to let you know. I'm not planning on shipping Danny with anyone right now. All this hugging and caring for each other is pure friendship.