Chapter 13

Danny exhaled deeply as he let his back slide and he plopped on the ground. He stared in front of himself at the rows of lockers. He knew exactly what locker whose was. His classmates' or students' he had met during lunch or after school.

It's like Casper High all over again. No matter how much Danny pushed it down, it overpowered him. His obsession. The feeling to protect everyone.

He wasn't angry at his ghost half for making him immune of Hawkmoth's ways or putting such a big weight on his back. Not at all. He was extremely grateful for it. That weight would have been there either way. Now, thanks to his ghost powers he could do something about it.

But it was never enough. He had to find a way to be there for everyone. Maybe if he used duplicat-

Danny paused when he felt the oh so familiar feeling. He sighed. "I was wondering when you would turn up."

Hawkmoth's voice rang in his brain. "Of course. I almost gave up on you but I wouldn't pass a chance like this. Now what's got you so depressed, boy."

Danny leaned his head against the wall and closed his eyes. "Do you ever just feel like nothing matters except protecting someone. Like you would do about anything for them no matter what."

There was a pause and Danny could feel Hawkmoth's hesitation. Before the other spoke he already knew he'd hit a nerve.

"Yes," the old man said with surprising sincerity. "I am."

That threw the boy offguard. What does he mean he is?! "Is it...family? Do you even have family?"

"Of course I have family," the fruitloop snapped.

Danny shrugged. "I just always pictured you like a lonely old man that spend day and night in his evil lair laughing maniacally and looking for depressed kids like a shrink with no job."

He heard Hawkmoth grumble something unintelligible but he wasn't done yet. "I mean. Twice you stayed up all night trying to get me sleepless enough to be akumatized. I didn't think you spent much time with your family."

There was an awkward silence and Danny narrowed his eyes. "Or do you?" Still nothing. "Oh no. No way. You sir, you're getting out of that lair right now. You told me you do everything for your family? It doesn't sound like it!"

"I AM." Hawkmoth shouted. "I am doing all in my power to help us. He doesn't understand now, but he will!!"

"If you're thinking you're helping him by completely ignoring him and hiding in that stupid room then you're wrong!" Danny had no idea who 'he' was but this guy needed to be taught a lesson. "Believe me, I know. My parents aren't the most attentive. They spend all their time in their work. Sure, it might help the society but it certainly ain't helping our family!! No matter how much they think it does!"

Hawkmoth seemed to be fuming. "As soon as I get this done we will be together again. I just need the miraculouses and we'll be a happy family!"

"Get your head out of the clouds, old man. How long do you want to keep this up. You're ruining so many people's lives just to make your own happy?! The only way to make it happy is to actually spend time with them. Whatever you're trying to do, it's not making anything better. Tell me, when was the last time you went outside and actually LOOKED around."

Silence.

"Well?!? When!! You know what!?" Danny had stood up in anger and was shouting at the lockers. "You go outside. You look around. Look at the people. They're afraid. They are fucking afraid every second of the day. Nobody in this place dares to be angry or sad or whatever shit. You have any idea how messed up that is?! It's pretty fucking messed up. So go out and look at their faces and think: this is my fault. This is what my obsessive stalking is getting me!! Also do yourself a favor and get a life. Spend time with your family because you're wasting precious time right now."