Chapter 5

After the first few days of A-Li's arrival in Qing Qiu, the people soon grew to a routine.

In the morning, A-Li would go outside the Fox Den and help Feng Jiu in buying food at the market, help prepare the table and then also help clean the gardens and rivers near the Fox Den. These actions, would seem to be too low for a godling who descended from royal blood in the eyes of the Celestial Tribe. But to the people of Qing Qiu and the Nine-Tailed Fox Tribe, it was endearing and a good quality to have.

Indeed, the young prince had already adapted, quickly exchanging his blue colored clothes with much simpler white and dove grey clothes.

After these tasks are over, A-Li would prepare himself for his lessons with his uncle, High God Bai Zhen and also High God Zhe Yan. Then he would take walks with his mother. Secretly, it was the highlight of the boy's day, spending time with his mother and his younger siblings. When he had first arrived and learned of his mother's pregnancy, he had resolved to become more mature, so as to better take care of his mother in his deceased father's place.

It was during these days, Bai Qian spotted her son with Bai Zhen, with her brother teaching the young prince about the mysterious magic of the Fox Tribe.

With an idea on her mind, she approached the two.

"Mother!" A-Li said, his face full of excitement and eagerness to learn. Bai Qian smiled at them and looked at her older brother. "Fourth Brother, how about I teach A-Li about how to use fox magic? You can teach him how to use the sword. And Zhe Yan can teach him tactics and about politics." she said, taking her son's hand.

At that, A-Li beamed excitedly. He couldn't believe it. His mother, teach him? Bai Zhen could only smile at his nephew's expression. "I suppose..." A-Li's face looked concerned, while Bai Qian couldn't help but bite back a smile.

"Alright. I suppose it would be better. Fifth Sister, your magic is more powerful than ever." he finally said.

It was a pretty sight, the young prince's face was full of joy, Bai Qian's smile reached her eyes, twinkling like the bright stars in a dark sky.

But her eyes suddenly faded, as she gazed at her son. Ye Hua's face flashed, a soft smile tugging on his lips. 

Pain seized her heart.

Gripping her chest, she felt her belly churning in unease, her children responding to her sudden pain.

Bai Zhen, noticing her discomfort, quickly said."The weather is too cloudy today, don't you think? Maybe we should forego your walk and go inside the Fox Den."

As A-Li turned around and happily walked towards the Fox Den, Bai Qian gave her brother a thankful smile. Her brother, smiled in return and nodded.