Rudy walked in the middle of the road, whistling noises in the tune of 'bust a move' coming from his inhaler.

He approached the house on 219 Ocean Avenue, shivering to himself.

Rudy pulled his medicine case out of his fannypack, wanting to sort his medicine.

He felt the plastic container slip out of his hands, his medicine flying everywhere on the road.

He sighed, dropping to his knees, as he gathered his now tainted medicine from the dirty streets.

He almost had his last pill, when an unfamiliar hand covered in rotten bandages picked it up for him.

"Do you think this'll help me, Rudy?"

Rudy gazed up, his green eyes wide and full of an abundance of fear.

The face wasn't that of his fellow playmates, for it was beyond what he considered terrifying.

The man's face was demented and tormented, bandages covering his withered face.

It was a leper.

Rudy knew of many homeless men that took shelter inside the Ocean Avenue house of terror, known mostly as the Wharf Horse house.

Rudy stood up in terror, the leper approaching him closer.

Within an instant, the asthmatic boy bolted toward the gate of the house, turning back to gaze at the hideous beast once.

Scared wasn't anything to describe what Rudy felt.

He sprinted towards the metal fence, forgetting his pills and unknown placebos.

Rudy stopped a minute before he planned to climb under the gate, turned his focus over towards the house.

There was an upside down array of red balloons floating aimlessly in midair.

They floated upwards, revealing a ghoulish clown who's appearance would put Ronald McDonald to shame.

"Come join the clowns, Rudes. We all float down here, yes we do!"

The clown emitted a psychotic giggle that caused Rudy to shake with fear.

He turned to exit again, the earsplitting sound of the balloons popping filled his ears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jocelyn entered her quiet bedroom, tossing her bag on her bed.

She noticed a small postcard with a photo of a lighthouse escape the bag and fall onto her carpet.

The blonde crept into her bathroom, avoiding her father's presence.

Her smile was bright as the sun as she read the poem.

Your hair is winter fire. January embers. My heart burns there too.

-Your secret admirer.

She quietly pondered to herself, questioning who the secret admirer may be.

It could've been Courtney, who always seemed sorta flustered around her.

It could've been Rudy, who was clearly having his first middle school crush.

Maybe it was Jimmy Jr, the one she shared vivid eye contact with at the quarry.

"Jocelyn."

The blonde was too encapsulated in her daydream to notice her voice being spoken, softly, as in a whisper.