♪ vii

Harley was already up around five in the morning

Harley was already up around five in the morning. She slowly slid off Gray's embrace without trying to wake him. It had been troubling for her to have had a dreamless sleep which was something she shouldn't be complaining about. Yet, she didn't want to be dependent on having Gray around her life. Without thinking, she grabbed a jacket and took off for a walk to clear her head. The situation at hand was not supposed to complicate things! It should have been easy to just love Gray and be finally happy. But no, her heart couldn't gauge the heaviness it came with caring for a person. She was afraid to love again, losing Gray would only literally kill her.

After some much-needed air, she decided to walk back to her apartment. The sun's ray had peeked through the line of houses on her street. Harley knew that Gray was still on her bed, sleeping soundly. Taking a deep breath, she entered the apartment quietly as to not wake him. Her eyes widened when she saw a shirtless Gray pacing around her living room; brows furrowed with worry.

He looked up to see the door closing and relief washed over his face when he saw her. "I thought you left me," he told her honestly.

"I needed some air," she mumbled. Her feet were glued to the ground as the initial shock started to fade. The walk she took didn't include the things on how to approach their current situation.

He sighed, "Last night was..."

Before everything got out of hand, she blurted, "I don't need to hear it."

"Sunshine, we need to talk about this. Last night was important to me. I'm here for the long run. I know you're scared but we can eventually work it out. You don't have to commit to me right now. Just please let me in." Gray never pleaded but Harley was important.

He was in front of her now, both hands cradling the frame of her face. The feel of his warmth made Harley close her eyes and sigh in content. There was nowhere to run. Being afraid of moving forward was no longer an option. She nodded softly, indicating a yes, which immensely made Gray mentally jump for joy. Baby steps, he thought. He pulled her closer, dipping gently to place a kiss on her inviting lips. Harley parted her mouth as Gray slid his tongue to taste more of her. He just couldn't get enough of her. Harley snaked her arms around his torso, pushing herself closer to him. The feelings they felt for each other were too strong that they didn't know how to control its power.

Breathing heavily from the kiss, their foreheads joined in which they weren't ready to let go of one another. Gray was first to speak, trying to diffuse the topic that Harley clearly wasn't ready to discuss. "Would you like some breakfast?"

"That would be nice," she smiled lightly, thankful that they didn't have to talk about it now.

Her heart fluttered when she saw Gray worked around her small kitchen, trying to rummage whatever ingredient was left in the fridge to cook for breakfast. She didn't want to get used to this but it was hard not to get absorbed by his charm.