Chapter 37

Adrianne

 Raynor was the first to hear of the declaration from the North. It had arrived as posters hung in the streets of every city of importance in Etheron. The rumors spread with an excited haste throughout the capital within days, and Adrianne needed not think twice about what needed to be done next.

 Raymond arrived within three days, only hours after she had received his letter that he would come to the castle. His beard had grown out and he looked aflutter with anxiety, but he seemed well rested, which eased Adrianne’s mind a little. She wanted nothing more than to hug him before all of the court. His presence reminded her of the days when she was still young, when her husband was yet alive.

 “Brother,” she greeted. “It is truly a relief to see you.”

 He smiled, kissing her hand courteously. “And you, sister.”

 They walked together to one of her private chambers, followed by Raynor. Once inside, she handed Raymond one of the posters that had been hung on the outer walls of Westhall. Once he had finished reading, he shook his head in frustration.

 “Lies,” he whispered beneath his breath.

 Adrianne sat by the table after pouring herself a cup of wine. “What does it matter if it’s lies? If the people believes it, it becomes the truth.”

 He regarded her for a second. “You’ve grown.”

 “So have you,” she replied without a moment’s thought.

 He chuckled, putting down the paper. “I suppose I have.”

 Adrianne took his hand. After Raphael died, he had made the same gesture and she remembered the comfort it brought. “Raymond, it is your daughter. It’s Gabrielle’s daughter. I cannot imagine how it must be for you.”

 He shrugged dismissively, gently removing his hand from hers. “She grew up another man’s daughter.”

 “You fathered her,” she insisted.

 A pained look crossed his face, but it was gone as quick as it came. “Yes, I did,” he said. “Will Thomas be coming to the capital as well?”

 “I’m afraid not,” she said, truly regretful. “I wish he could, but he’s fallen sick.”

 “He’s fallen old,” he corrected her.

 Unsure what to say, she changed the subject. “I called for you because I remember your great leadership during the rebellion. I hoped the King might benefit from your knowledge again.”

 His eyes flashed to Raynor. “And what does the King say?”

 For what it was worth, Raynor seemed to think about his answer. “I grew up with songs and stories of your victories,” he began. “I can only imagine how much your help would mean.”

 Raymond laughed. “I thought you said he was uncontrollable, Adrianne,” he commented.

 She smiled. “I am as surprised as you are.” She looked at Raynor. “But he has changed with his position.”

 “For the better, I hope,” Raynor mumbled.

 “Yes,” she agreed.

 They spent most of the afternoon discussing battle strategies. It seemed to interest Raynor surprisingly little, while Raymond seemed to be in his own sort of heaven. By the end of the private meeting, they agreed that it would be best to meet the northern army as quickly as possible before they gained too much strength - to raise their own army before the rumors began to spread even further.