Chapter 71

Elizabeth

 The past year since Elizabeth’s victory had passed in a rush. She had barely sensed the changing of seasons. Her life had been a strange mix of complete and colossal glory and immense sadness that threatened to crush her. Weaved into this had been all the court’s deceptions, the handling of Adrianne’s daughters and, finally, the appointment of her own council and ladies-in-waiting. It had all passed so quickly, so easily.

 Yet, she felt tired. She felt so tired she thought she might fall into a deep sleep and not awaken before years later. Some days, she just lay in bed, staring at the light falling through her curtains, watching her fingers crumple the sheets. Or she would lie on the duvet, reading a book for hours, but never finish more than three pages.

 Her body had felt heavy that afternoon, as well, when she forced herself to prepare for the solstice celebration.

 She wore a white dress, more formal than hers intended to be, with little creme colored pearls attached in the shapes of flowers. Her hair was left free, except for the bangs, and she wore a simple pearl necklace.

 “Could you perhaps loosen the bodice a little, Jane?” Elizabeth asked the lady-in-waiting that was dressing her.

 The girl curtseyed. “Of course, Your Grace. I do apologize.”

 Elizabeth frowned at her exaggerated courtesy, but thought no more of it. A few minutes later, she was readied. She left the room, followed by the her ladies-in-waiting. She had not gotten around to appointing a fourth after Lady Sybil had left; had not even gotten around to being angry at Sybil. Therefore, there was now only Lady Mary; Lady Jane, who was the daughter of a small lord who had gotten lucky in the war and was given lands near the northern border; and Lady Elizabeth, the oldest daughter of the Lord of Denver, the highest lord in the Branches.

 When they reached the double doors leading to the garden, trumpets. The entire court, all standing outside on the field, amongst the flowering bushes, turned to watch her descend the steps.

 “Her Grace, the Queen Regent of Etheron, Elizabeth of House Turell,” the announcer bellowed and the crowd cheered.

 She beamed to her people as she walked to a table that had been raised in the midst of the crowd. On it, her lantern had been placed. With a small match, she lit the bottom of the lantern on fire and slowly guided it upwards until it lifted from her open palms.

 Once more, the court erupted in cheering and soon, more than five dozen lanterns were floating in the air above them. They lit the sky as though the stars had fallen from it. For a long time, silence rested over them all.

 When the first few lanterns had vanished from sight, chatter began spreading and the magical moment of the solstice celebration was over.

 Elizabeth looked around her, confused. She might be the Queen, but she was also a stranger and this court was not hers. Not really, at least. This court had been Queen Adrianne and King Raphael’s, and that was hard to forget.

 "Your Grace?”

 Elizabeth turned around and was relieved to find that it was Henry Baldwin that had spoken. He was a newcomer, too, and more her subject than Adrianne’s. “My lord,” she said.

 “I was wondering if I might have a word with you in private?”

 She smiled. “Of course. Lead the way.”

 He took her to the edge of the conjugation, in the midst of some bushes. It was not so far away that it would cause a scandal, but not so close than anyone would overhear them.