Chapter 63

Raynor

One of the late winter storms were raging over the sea. Even now, the temperature was warm, but the sky was black and thunder rolled over it. The waves crashed against the beach, bringing with them the timber of shipwrecks. Raynor watched it from the Garden of Stones. He was far above it all, yet he feared one of the waves would reach even higher than those before it and swallow the cliffs and the castle built upon them.

“Your Grace,” a guard said, his voice barely audible over the raging of the weather.

Raynor turned around. “Yes?”

“A man has come to see you,” the guard said. “He says you know him.”

“Did he give a name?”

The guard nodded. “Jonathan Baker.”

For a moment, Raynor was sure he had heard the guard wrong. “Bring him to my quarters,” he ordered.

Jonathan arrived to Raynor’s office shortly thereafter. His clothing was soaked and it was obvious that he was freezing.

“Gods,” Raynor said and stood from his chair, “they didn’t even give you a fresh change of clothes?”

Jonathan waved his hand dismissively. “I assure you, it is quite alright, Your Grace. If I might warm myself by the fire, I’d be grateful.”

Raynor made an allowing gesture and Jonathan moved to the fireplace. Jonathan sat back down and said, “What are you doing here?”

“There’s no place for me in the capital anymore, it seems,” Jonathan said, writhing his hands together to get warmth back into his fingers. “I thought I might seek fortune elsewhere - or, at least, find some peace and retire to my writing.”

Raynor smiled. “I doubt you’ll find peace anywhere as things are.”

“Oh, I’m not sure about that.” Jonathan smirked. “Elizabeth is very dedicated to making peace with you.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” Raynor began looking through the letters that had arrived. He controlled the urge to laugh at the coincidence when he saw a letter with Elizabeth’s seal. “Speaking of the devil,” he muttered and waved the letter.

Jonathan looked with interest, though he was reluctant to leave the fire. “What does she write?”

Raynor read it through, a smile growing as he read. “It’s better than I dared hope,” he said. It seemed the first time in a long while that he was able to utter that sentence. “She’ll give me my sister and daughter.”

Jonathan raised a speculative eyebrow. “What are the terms?”

“Peace,” Raynor said. It seemed to be truly that simple. “We both keep our peace, we exchange prisoners and the border will be free for anyone to pass."

“I didn’t know that you had a prisoner,” Jonathan said.

“An old friend of Elizabeth’s.” Raynor began searching for ink and paper.

Jonathan approached him. His hair and clothes still seemed damp, but he was no longer shivering. “Are you going to reply right away?”

“It requires my immediate attention,” Raynor said just as he pulled forth the items.

“I’ll leave you to it, then.”

Raynor looked up. “Have the servants prepare an apartment for you. I would be very happy if you’d lend me your intelligence while building the People’s Choice.”