Chapter 67

Ishmael

He was woken by the morning light that spilled in from the windows. When he opened his eyes, he found her lying peaceful some inches away. She did not like to sleep too close to him - it was too warm and too closed-in. Of course, he thought with a smile. She is used to the endless northern mountains.

He tried to slide unnoticed away, but her eyes fluttered open as soon as he moved. “Do you have to leave so soon?” Her voice coarse from her sleep.

“Official business,” he explained. “There’s a coronation coming up, after all.”

She held out an arm for him and he obliged by leaning down and kissing her chastely. When he remembered the not quite so chaste actions of the night before, he retreated. “I have to go,” he whispered.

The Small Council met, mostly to discuss financial and otherwise ordinary matters. There was not much for Ishmael to do or say, except for the rare few times that he declared himself for or against some idea that was put forth. If the subject turned to religion, it was only a few times and very briefly.

After the meeting had finished and the council members had started to leave, Elizabeth asked Ishmael and James to stay behind.

“Ishmael wants to build a small church for his religion,” Elizabeth began, directing her words to James. “Do we have the funds?”

James tapped his fingers on the table. “It depends on what you mean by ‘small’.”

Elizabeth looked to Ishmael, who took the cue.

“The churches of my religion are slightly larger than your Temples,” Ishmael said. “I would say twice the size of a Temple.”

James frowned. “It seems like an expensive project - and, if I may speak plainly?”

Elizabeth nodded.

“Well, a bit ridiculous,” he said. “Your people mostly belongs to the Solar religion. They would not care for a church of some religion they are not familiar with. Frankly, they would find it a waste of funding.”

Ishmael tilted his head. “Well, our churches are intended to inspire awe in the people who visit. God lives within them. I was hoping they would see it and join my religion.”

“That is very ambitious. And costly,” James added.

Ishmael nodded. “I see,” he said. “Well, I do need a place to pray. I’ve gone too long without the presence of God.” His thoughts went to the night before, and before that. Sins. “Perhaps we have funds for a chapel?”

James sighed. “And how big is a chapel in your religion?”

“Perhaps… one fourth of a Temple,” he said.

“That should be manageable.” James turned to Elizabeth. “However, I have more pressing matters for you.”

Elizabeth frowned. “And you did not mention them to the council?”

“I have just heard of it, and I thought I would speak to you first,” he explained. “There are rumors that some of the commoners have not yet accepted you as their Queen. They are outraged over the decapitation of Helena and call both the Lady Mary and the Lady Sybil by their former titles.”

She rubbed her temples and sighed. “I thought winning the war would be… well, winning the war.”

James leaned back. “A throne is never a comfortable resting place, Your Grace,” he said. “You must remember, these people fought for Adrianne during the war. Their fathers, brothers and husbands were killed by your men. It was by killing them that you won this throne.”