Chapter 58

Elizabeth

 Elizabeth watched with interest as Mary moved around the room. She still wore mourning clothes, which, Elizabeth supposed, was only natural. In addition to losing her mother, her father and one of her brothers had died not too long ago, while the other one was exiled. One sister was many hundred miles away, the other was locked in the dungeons with a possible death sentence hanging over her head. It was not surprising that all those that she passed showed great respect, even if they treated her with silence.

 Ever since the episode on the plaza, most of the court did not speak to the former Princess out of fear that they might be suspected of scheming against the Queen. Elizabeth suspected that Mary only came to keep up appearances. She stayed for no longer than an hour, in which she spoke to almost no one, and never for too long.

 That night, Elizabeth retired before her and returned to her chambers. She had been feeling tired all night and she wanted nothing more than to sleep. When she returned, however, a servant was waiting for her.

 “A letter, Your Grace,” he said by way of explanation, “from King Raynor.”

 She took it and dismissed him before sitting down by her table with a glass of wine. She was not even halfway through when she jumped from her chair and called for a servant.

 “Get Ishmael, and Sir Jamie. Quickly!”

 By the time the servant returned, followed closely by her two advisors, she had finished the letter.

 Jamie sat down ahead of her. “What is it?”

“It’s Raynor,” she said. “He writes that he has Shakan in his custody.”

Ishmael furrowed and sat down as well. “Shakan? Did his ship not wreck?”

“Apparently Shakan survived it,” Elizabeth said. “However it has come to be, Shakan is imprisoned in Lionhall.”

“What will you do?” Jamie asked.

She took another sip of wine. “I want peace, that much is for sure.” Her hand was still holding the cup. She began rolling it around, watching the liquid swirl. “Raynor offers and exchange of hostages. He’ll let Shakan go if I let his sister, wife and daughter go.”

Ishmael frowned. “Three hostages in return for one?”

Jamie nodded in agreement. “That is too much to ask.”

“Is it, really?” She put down the cup. “He wants his loved ones returned to him, and so do I. Is it so much to ask for peace?”

“That is true,” Ishmael said, “but you might want to… make it harder for him. Make it his interest to keep the peace.”

“He says he cannot hold peace if anyone is kept imprisoned,” Elizabeth said. “I am inclined to agree. There can’t be real peace as long as I hold his family.”

Jamie rested his head in his hands while thinking. “Perhaps if you offered an exchange - Shakan for his daughter and his sister. Then you would sign a treaty and in one year you will give him his wife, as well.”

“Do you think he would trust me to do that?”

“If he wants peace, perhaps he’ll have to,” Jamie said with a shrug. “We still have the upper hand. Besides, in these sorts of negotiations, people tend to ask for a little more than they expect.”

Elizabeth nodded. “I’ll draft a letter myself and have it ready by tomorrow. Ishmael, would you read it through for me?”

“Of course.”