Chapter 59

Evelyn

 The castle ahead of her was not very big, nor was it built in an impressive fashion, but she knew it to be safety. It was built by the passing of the Frosty River, just before it branched out into the great marshes of The Branches. Here, she could gain passing to the west and to her husband.

 The ground beneath her horse’s hooves gave way, revealing mud beneath the grass. A light, dusty rain fell, but she never felt the drops herself. When she reached the gates, a guard called for her identity.

 Her hand shielded her eyes from the drops as she looked up. “I am Princess Evelyn Turell of Etheron.”

 She was let inside instantly. A stableboy helped her from her horse and a servant led her inside. To be in a dry and almost warm room for the first time in days felt better than she thought was possible.

 The sound of steps brought her attention up the stairs, where she found Lady Amalia standing. “Your Grace,” the lady said. “What are you doing here?”

 “The war is over,” Evelyn said. “Haven’t you heard? Elizabeth won the capital.”

 Amalia brought hand before her mouth in shock. “No,” she breathed.

 Evelyn handed her cloak to one of the servants and walked up the stairs. “Where is the lord of your household?”

 Amalia still seemed shaken, her face was pale and her eyes were wider than usual. “My father is in the capital,” she said. “With my mother.” With a violent sob that made her body cramp together, she broke out crying. “Are they alright? Tell me they live.”

 Evelyn grasped Amalia’s shoulders to keep her upright. “To my knowledge, they haven’t been harmed, but I can’t tell you.”

 With a few sniffs, Amalia wiped away her tears and nodded. “And your family? What of the King?”

 “My brother has escaped East, but my sisters are in the Queen’s custody,” Elizabeth said. “We have all been made bastards by her court.”

 Amalia furrowed, disbelieving. “And your mother?”

 Evelyn looked away. “Dead.”

 “I’m so sorry,” Amalia whispered.

 “Don’t be.”

 She reached out to caress Evelyn’s face. “Would you like some food? A bath?”

 "A bath,” Evelyn said after some thought. “And food, once I’ve finished.”

Amalia nodded before calling for a servant. He took Evelyn away to the guest chambers. The bath was quick in arriving and she relished in being washed clean of the sweat and dirt from the travel as well as from the humiliations she had suffered. That night, she dined with Amalia. They were both silent, Amalia from the possibility of her losses and Evelyn from exhaustion and sadness. It was not until they were to part in front of Evelyn’s chambers that the silence was broken.

“Don’t leave me alone tonight,” Amalia begged in a whisper. Her voice was hoarse with desperation and unshed tears.

Evelyn nodded and opened the door for her. All servants had been dismissed and Evelyn asked them to refrain from entering the room in the morning. Then they lay down together, slowly falling asleep beside each other. Evelyn had quite forgotten how good it felt not to be alone.

The next morning, she awoke in an empty bed. Amalia was seated by the window, looking out at the courtyard and the marshes. When she turned around to look at Evelyn, her eyes were red-brimmed. “You’re leaving, aren’t you?”