Chapter 65

Mary

 “Why can’t my sister live if we have peace?” Mary asked, exasperated.

Philip looked at her with sympathy, which only made her groan inwardly with anger. She did not want his sympathy. “Raynor is a man with an army who wants his mother’s lands,” he said. “Tibera traditionally belongs to the Lamarck family. Regardless of your mother’s indiscretions, that land is still his by inheritance.”

“My mother’s indiscretions?” she hissed, forgetting for a moment that she was no longer a princess.

He concealed a smile. “I am only saying, it is a commonly accepted fact that you and your siblings are bastards born from infidelity. While your brother is a man making claim on his mother’s lands, Helena is openly disregarding the foundation of Elizabeth’s rule.”

“She doesn’t deserve to die,” Mary said, falling into one of her chairs.

“I agree, but there is nothing to be done unless she bends the knee and says the words.” Philip leaned forward. “We both know that she won’t do that.”

She looked away, swallowing the lump that was forming. “But my brother wants me to come to Tibera?”

He nodded.

“And Elizabeth will let me?”

Again, he nodded.

She rubbed her hands together. “Why will Raynor accept peace if he knows of Helena’s execution? How can he just… let her die?”

Philip hesitated. “I cannot know of your brother’s reasoning, but there is a chance that he does not know that Helena is to be executed. There is a possibility that he thinks she died during the battle. I doubt he knows what has been going on.”

“Well, someone should tell him.” She knew that she sounded immature and childish, but she was tired of the world being so full of injustice and terror. She did not want it to be without Helena as well.

“There is not much he can do,” Philip said, voice soft and sympathetic once more. “This peace is to his favor. If they kept fighting, Elizabeth would most likely win. He is not a very good tactician and he hasn’t won that many battles.”

Mary sighed, trying to let go of all her emotions and worries as she let go of her breath.

The door opened and a servant entered. “My lady, Lady Sybil is here to see you.”

Philip stood up. “I’ll leave you.”

Mary did not want him to leave. Even after his visit a week earlier, his presence calmed her. There was something about him that made her think she could trust him.

Once he had left, Sybil entered. After greeting each out courteously, Sybil sat down in the chair previously occupied by Philip.

“I suppose you’ve heard of the peace treaty between the Queen and Raynor,” she said. She was trying to make her voice sound friendly, but it came out rushed and impatient.

Mary nodded.

Sybil’s hand went to a locket that hung from her necklace. “You’ll be leaving soon, I suppose,” she continued.

“As soon as the arrangements have been made,” Mary replied uncertainly. Something about Sybil threw her off balance.

The former Queen’s breathing was heavy, almost as though she was trying to calm herself. “I was wondering if-if you’d bring him a letter from me.”

“Of course,” Mary said.

Sybil reached into the pocket of her dress and drew forth a letter. “Here.”