Chapter 4

Almost a moon had passed since Stonekit's arrival in SnowClan. It had been fun in SnowClan, despite how lonely he was at times. Sometimes he still called for his mother, though he barely even remembered her. The good news was that Petalnose's kits would be born at anytime, so he would have a playmate or two.

            But Stonekit's past had been fading. Who was the leader of his old clan again? What was the name of his clan? What were his parent's names?! What was his father's pelt color? All he remembered was that ginger fur on his mother. Maybe that was a dream too. He didn't remember any names from his old clan.

            Stonekit had spent weeks trying to recover the few memories he had of his old clan. But, since he had only known the cats there for a day, there was no way he could remember. He would try to hold on to his mother's pelt color forever though.

            There was only one thing Stonekit knew about his life. Hi, I'm Stonekit. I was born in a different clan far away from here. My mother was a ginger she-cat. My mother left me here in SnowClan and never came back he said to himself. He had been telling himself these same thoughts for weeks now. He wasn't even sure if he had siblings!

            His thoughts came to an abrupt end as Petalnose let out the "birth of kits" yowl. "MY KITS ARE COMING!" the white queen yowled.

            Many cats rushed towards the nursery including her daughter, Mintpaw, whom Stonekit had just learned that she was her daughter not too many days ago. Apparently, Petalnose had mated with a rogue, but he left her, so she was left to take care of Mintpaw. It was Longtail, her mate, who was also rushing towards the den, who made her happy again. She was giving birth to Longtail's kits at the very moment Stonekit was having these thoughts.

            Many cats were shooed out of the den, but Longtail got to stay. Stonekit stood by Mintpaw and her friend, Foxpaw. Stonekit noticed Petalnose's siblings, Cloudfur and Skycloud, by the den as well.

            "IT'S A TOM!" The first yowl came from the nursery. Stonekit couldn't even see the new kit.

            "A SHE-CAT!" Were there any more kits?

            "ANOTHER SHE-CAT!" How many kits was Petalnose having? Surely this was the last.

            "LAST ONE! IT'S A TOM!" Four kits. How could Petalnose handle so many including Mintpaw?

            As cats began to clear and family members saw their kin, Stonekit was allowed back int the nursery where he stared at the new SnowClan kittens. They wouldn't open their eyes for a little while, so all was quiet...for now.

            "What are their names?" Stonekit asked.

            Petalnose pointed to a ginger tom. "This is Blazekit. He was the first born, and he's the biggest."

            Petalnose then pointed to a gray tabby she-cat. "This is Riverkit. She's the biggest she-cat, but her brother," she pointed to a white tom, "Cottonkit, is a little bit bigger than her."

            Lastly she pointed to a small white and gray she-cat. "This is Ivykit. She's the smallest, but I'm sure she'll make a good warrior. She looks just like my mother, you know."

            "My mother had a ginger pelt," Stonekit said.

            "I'm surprised you still remember your mother," Petalnose remarked.

            Anger spiked through Stonekit's pelt. He had every right to remember his true family. He let himself calm down before he spoke again. "That's the only thing I remember."

            Petalnose didn't speak anymore, too fixated on watching her kits. The other kits squirmed constantly, but Stonekit kept looking intently at Ivykit. She was so calm and slept peacefully.

            Icestar walked into the den. "My, what beautiful warriors they will make!" she exclaimed.

            "Thank you, Icestar," the white queen replied, trying to calm her squirming kits.

            Icestar then turned to Stonekit. Stonekit had been growing a bond with the leader. She was like a mother to him at times now. "Stonekit, why don't you come into my den tonight? I want Petalnose to get some rest."

            "Okay," Stonekit said. He bounced beside Icestar as they came into the leader den. It was vacant except for an old nest that Icestar slept in.

            The sun had fully set now, only the moon and stars shining light onto the clan. Icestar curled up in her nest, leaving just enough room for Stonekit. He curled up next to the she-cat and felt the warmth of her fur. He felt a distant memory of his mother as he had curled up next to her and felt immediate warmth.

            Icestar wasn't his mother of course, but she reminded him of his. Stonekit felt happy around her. Stonekit's eyes drooped as these thoughts circled his brain. Giving one more yawn, he shut his eyes, and fell asleep.