Chapter 17

Weeks had passed, and as Stone awoke, he knew that it would be the last time he saw Lily before he returned from the hunt.

            "Good morning," Stone said.

            Lily's stomach had been growing as the kits grew inside. "Good morning," she said.

            The sun was just rising. Stone was required to be up bright and early in the morning. Rock didn't want to leave any later than sunrise.

            Stone and Lily padded out of the den. Arrow was already saying his goodbyes to Daisy, wishing her the best luck while giving birth.

            "I guess this is good-bye," Lily said looking down.

            "Hey," Stone said. "I'll be back soon. When I'm back, the kits will almost be fully grown and bouncing around. You'll be an excellent mother."

            "Really?"

            Stone nodded. "Of course. I'll miss you and I love you."

            "I love you too," Lily said, nudging her mate one last time.

            Stone padded over to Daisy. "It's about time that my friend came over and wished me good luck," Daisy laughed.

            "Well, good luck giving birth Daisy. I'm sure your kits will be fabulous too," Stone said.

            "Good-bye, Stone. Good luck to you! I hope to see you and Arrow soon!" The she-foxes waved the males good-bye.

            "Off we go!" Rock yowled as the foxes began to march away from their home. Stone glanced at Lily one last time. She and Daisy seemed to be in tears.

            Stone smiled one last time, and then disappeared into the woods.

Weeks. That's how long they had been hunting. Stone and Arrow had stuck together the whole time. It was fun hunting. They got to explore so many places. Stone had never had such a full belly in his entire life.

            They were traveling to a nearby meadow today. It was supposed to contain the best rabbits in the entire forest.

            "Hungry for rabbits?" Arrow asked.

            Stone laughed. "I'm stuffed. I don't think I can eat anymore."

            "Well you can't turn down the rabbits," Arrow said. "I remember tasting them last year. They were the most delicious prey I had ever tasted in my life."

            "Fine, I'll try them," Stone said.

            There was a long silence before Arrow spoke again. "I was right you know."

            "About what?"

            "You and Lily. It felt like only yesterday in leaf-bare when you two were falling in love. I was right now. Once we return home, it'll be you, Lily, and your children. Just like I thought."

            "Okay, fine. I guess you're right," Stone said.

            "How many kits do you think you'll have?" Arrow asked.

            "Please tell me it's just one," Stone groaned.

            Arrow laughed. "Well, it's most commonly three to five. I guess you'll be hoping for three."

            "Wait. Does Lily have any siblings?" Stone asked.

            "She had two brothers. They moved away once they were old enough. Chase was heartbroken, but she has Lily. I guess it's all good. Do you have any siblings, Stone?"

            Stone nervously tried to think of something. "Um, I have three sisters and another brother. They all live in another forest."

            "I just had a sister and a brother," Arrow said. "My sister died from the moss a long time ago. My brother left to another forest as well."

            "Oh, that's a shame," Stone said. "I've never even seen the moss. Where is it?"

            "Oh it doesn't grow until new-leaf," Arrow said. "The sad part is that the kits are growing up around that time. We lose many kits to that moss."

            Stone was about to reply when he saw the meadow.

            "We're here!" Rock yowled.

            Stone and Arrow raced into the meadow. It was full of rabbit holes. Rabbits raced around. Quick and fast, Stone killed one. Despite his full stomach, he sunk his teeth into the rabbit. Arrow was right. It tasted delicious. He gobbled up the entire rabbit, leaving the fur and bones behind.

            Arrow came out of the bushes with two rabbits. "Look what I caught! Want to share?"

            Stone shook his head. "They're really good, but I'm stuffed. I won't have to eat for moons."

            Arrow laughed and the two friends sat in the meadow eating rabbits and having fun.