Chapter 35

Stonecloud rushed towards Ivygaze and Stoneclaw. "I have great news!" he yowled. It was the most excited he had ever acted.

            "What is it?" Stoneclaw asked.

            "Morningpelt is expecting kits!" Stonecloud gasped.

            Ivygaze smiled.

            "I'm sure you'll be a great father," Stoneclaw said.

            Stonecloud nodded. "I can't wait for my kits to be born! They'll be the best warriors ever!" he said.

            As he padded off, Stoneclaw turned to Ivygaze who was smiling. "Maybe we'll have kits one day," Stoneclaw said to her.

            Ivygaze twitched her whiskers in amusement, lightly swatting him on the head.

            Stoneclaw laughed. "I know. It won't happen. I'm just glad that I'm here with you," Stoneclaw said.

            Ivygaze smiled at him, lightly licking his cheek.

"THEY'RE COMING!" Stonecloud screeched. "MORNINGPELT'S KITS ARE COMING!"  Cats rushed to the nursery, including Ivygaze and Stoneclaw.

            Softheart and Sparrowwing stood by the nursery, as did Splashleap and Runninglegs. Graystorm and Dawnfire watched their kit as she was about to give birth.

            "It'll be alright," Spottedmask said, placing her paw on Morningpelt's stomach. Stonecloud stood beside Morningpelt as she screeched in pain.

            "Sh, it'll be okay," Stonecloud whispered to his mate. The ginger she-cat nodded, trying to ignore the pain that ached her.

            "The first one's coming," Morningpelt gasped.

            She screeched as the first kit was born. A gray tabby she-cat was born. Stonecloud began to lick the kit. "How many more?" Morningpelt groaned.

            Sandpaw felt Morningpelt's stomach. "Two," she replied.

            "You can do it," Stonecloud said. "You already gave birth to one. You can give birth to two more."

            Morningpelt screeched as another was born. A spotted she-cat. Spottedmask began to lick the kit.

            Two she-cats snuggled up close to Morningpelt now. "Just one more," Stonecloud said.

            Morningpelt screeched as the final was born. A small black tortoiseshell tom who was obviously the runt of the litter. He was smaller than the others.

            "You're done," Sandpaw said.

            "Beautiful," Stoneclaw said.

            "Thank you," Morningpelt said, gazing over her three beautiful kits.

            "What will we call them?" Stonecloud asked.

            Morningpelt smiled. "Let's call the gray tabby she-cat, Minnowkit. You name the other two."

            Stonecloud smiled, looking over his other two kits. "The spotted one will be Cheetahkit. And the tom will be Mottledkit."

            "Lovely names," Sparrowwing purred.

            They left to let Morningpelt take care of her three kits. Ivygaze padded to Stonecloud, lightly nudging him.

            "They're beautiful, Stonecloud. Let's hope you can handle three," Cottonnose said.

            Ivygaze rolled her eyes.

            "Well you handled three," Stoneclaw said to Ivygaze. "Your mother handled four."

            Cottonnose laughed. "Yes, she did. Well, it was mostly Skycloud, but still. Skycloud handled five kits plus her own."

            Ivygaze nodded.

            "Skycloud was an amazing cat," Cottonnose said.

            "She was," a voice came.

            They turned, seeing Cindertail, one of Skycloud's kits.

            "I never knew she had been captured," Cindertail said. "I never even knew that she and Mossclaw had become mates. But she was one of the most bravest cats ever."

            Ivygaze nodded.

            "It's a shame that she barely raised you," Cottonnose said.

            Cindertail smiled. "I know. But I'm not angry that she raised you. You four had to grow up without a mother. Mintfall had to grow up without a mother or father. Well, I better be off now." The light gray tabby she-cat padded off.

            "That was weird," Cottonnose said.

            Snowtail padded up towards them. "Cindertail is an odd cat. Would you like to go hunting, Cottonnose?"

            Cottonnose nodded. "Good-bye," he said, waving his tail.

            He left Stoneclaw and Ivygaze alone. "Hunting?" Stoneclaw suggested.

            Ivygaze nodded. They padded into the woods after Cottonnose and Snowtail. "Wait up!" Stoneclaw laughed. For once, Stoneclaw thought back to when he was a fox. When Daisy, Arrow, Lily, and him had all been hunting. He missed those days.