Chapter 7

"ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY JOIN BENEATH THE HIGHROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!" Icestar yowled.

            Stonekit bounced with excitement. Today was his apprentice ceremony! He was sad to leave his friends behind, but he had anticipated this moment forever. He would still see Ivykit and Cottonkit though. When he wasn't doing some training, he would go play with them. He had promised he would, and Stonekit never broke his promises.

            "Stonekit has reached six moons which means he is ready to become an apprentice," Icestar began.

            As if on cue, Stonekit padded up the rock, smiling at the cats before him. Icestar smiled down at him.

            "Stonekit, from this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Stonepaw. And now for your mentor."

            Stonepaw looked into the audience. Who would his mentor be? Cloudfur? Largefoot? Oh, there were so many choices! He was hoping he'd get a good warrior.

            "I have decided that since you seem to listen well and take advice from me, I will mentor you," Icestar said.

            Stonepaw gasped. "Really?" He had never expected Icestar to mentor him! He knew he would enjoy his apprentice days with her, especially since she acted like a mother towards him.

            Icestar nodded. Full of excitement, Stonepaw touched noses with Icestar and the clan began to yowl,"STONEPAW! STONEPAW!"

            Stonepaw smiled to the clan, them smiling back at him. He noticed Cottonkit and Ivykit looking at him as well. He waved his tail and they waved back, proud of their friend.

Two weeks had passed since Stonepaw had become an apprentice. He had only learned some hunting and fighting moves, mostly just being taught to gather moss for the elders.

            As for his friends, he barely saw Cottonkit and Ivykit anymore. He missed them terribly and at often times was lonely, even with Icestar around.

            Stonepaw padded out of the apprentice den to see another new sunny day. One of the last  sunny days of green-leaf. Leaf-fall would be upon them soon and then leaf-bare.

            Stonepaw spotted Icestar and padded towards her. "I'm ready to work," Stonepaw said.

            Icestar smiled. "We're going to practice some tree climbing moves today. After that we can just head back to camp. I know you haven't talked to Cottonkit and Ivykit in awhile, so I want you to have a chance to talk to them again."

            "Thanks!" Stonepaw exclaimed. He had been waiting to speak with his friends for awhile now and he appreciated that Icestar was going to let him.

            He followed his mentor into the woods until they came upon a large tree, full of thick branches that a cat could easily sink its claws into.

            "Watch carefully," Icestar said. She began to climb up, branch by branch, sinking her claws into the tough bark. She got up about halfway, then carefully came back down.

            "Climb onto each branch," she said. "If you can't reach a branch, then jump. Sink your claws into the bark -make sure you can first- and then jump onto the next branch from there."

            "Okay," Stonepaw said. He felt apprehensive about this. What if he fell? He knew Icestar would be there to catch him though. She was always looking out for him.