Chapter 13

When Stone awoke, it was sunrise. The foxes were full of chatter. Stone padded out of his den. He saw Chase, Rock, and Lily chatting.

            Stone padded over.

            "Oh, good morning, Stone!" Chase said. "Rock was just telling one of his stories."

            "Join us," Lily said. "We have plenty of fresh squirrel."

            "Thanks," Stone said.

            He sat down next to Lily. "As I was saying," Rock began. "I had scented some cat earlier that morning."

            "Ugh, not this story again," Chase groaned. "You know I don't like this one."

            "Oh, hush," Rock said. "Stone hasn't heard it before. Anyway, I had scented some cat earlier that morning. It had begun to rain, and I couldn't sleep. I did what I always did. I went to the hunting ground to look for some prey. Early morning food is always a great surprise to foxes. There he was. Just sitting there. The cat looked like a kitten. He had brown tabby fur and bright green eyes. All he did was stare at me."

            Stone gulped. Was he talking about what Stone thought he was talking about?

            "Chase had already told me that she heard another cat talking about how it was fox territory. I knew that kitten was stealing all the prey. So I leapt at him. He let me attack him. He didn't fight back at all, the wimp. I killed him, just like any fox would." Chase raised her eyebrow. "Well, except you Chase. I don't understand your soft spot for cats. I came back with no prey, but a great story."

            Stone gulped. Rock had killed him. The fox he had trusted had turned out to be his murderer. Stone wanted to murder Rock right now, but then he remembered that he had let Rock murder him.

            "Those clan cats can be interesting," Lily said.

            "Stone was telling me a funny joke the other day about how he was a clan cat," Chase laughed. Rock and Lily laughed as well.

            "You know, I'm really glad that old fox taught me how to understand cat."

            "You know how to speak cat?" Stone asked.

            Lily nodded. "Mother can speak it fluently."

            "I heard that the leader is dying as we speak. Some of the cats were talking about it," Chase said.

            Stone's eyes went wide.

            "Are you okay, Stone?" Rock asked.

            "I just need some um water. I'll be right back," he said. He slipped into the bushes. Icestar was dying! He had to go help her!

            He looked back one more time to make sure the foxes weren't staring at him. Then he leapt off.

            He ran through the forest, never stopping. Mice and squirrels stopped in their tracks. Plants were crushed to the ground.

            "ICESTAR! I'M COMING!" Stone yowled.

            He soon reached the camp. Many cats gathered near Icestar's den. "Icestar!" he gasped. Without thinking, he ran into the camp to poke his head in.

            "FOX!" Stone gasped around as his clanmate came near him. He saw Cottonkit and Ivykit, who were surely apprentices now, cowering in fear.

            "Ivykit! Cottonkit! It's me!" he yowled.

            The cats couldn't understand him. "Smokefur! What should we do?" Cloudfur asked. Smokefur must've been named deputy.

            Stone stood as the cats neared towards him.

            "ATTACK!" Smokefur yowled. The cats pounced on Stone. Stone whimpered as they clawed his pelt. Stone knocked the cats off and ran away. The cats followed him. Stone continued to run until he came to the hunting grounds. The patrol stopped, knowing more foxes were nearby. They growled and padded off.

            Stone sat down and licked his wounds. He had some fairly deep ones. He padded back into the territory of foxes.

            Lily's eyes widened. "What happened?" she asked and padded towards him.

            Chase padded forward as well.

            "It's nothing, really," Stone said. "I went too far into the cat's territory and they attacked me," he said.

            "Come with me," Chase said. "I'm a healer. I can help you."

            Stone sat in a clearing as Chase applied herbs to his wounds. At first they stung, but soon he felt indulged by the comfort they brought.

            "Feels good, doesn't it?" Chase asked.

            Stone nodded.

            "You should really go to the pond in our territory next time you need water," she said.

            "I will," Stone said. He was still depressed though because he hadn't got to see Icestar. He knew for a fact she was on her last life. He would never see her again.

            "Well you're good to go," Chase said.

            "Are you sure he's alright?" Lily asked.

            Chase nodded. "Stop your worrying. He'll be fine. Bye, Stone," Chase said.

            Why was Lily so worried about him? Stone padded away until he heard the conversation.

            "Why are you so protective?" Chase asked.

            "You know why, Mother. I told you last night."

            "Because you fancy him," Chase laughed.

            Was it true? Did Lily like him? Stone padded away before he could hear anymore. Lily was being nice to him. She was a beautiful fox. Stone smiled at the thought. Was he falling in love with her?

            Stone sighed and padded off into the territory to hunt. The thought of Lily still made him smile though. For once, he didn't think of Ivykit.