02 | orphic

02 | orphic
mysterious and entrancing; beyond ordinary understanding

dedicated to allisonrights 💕 hope you all enjoy this chapter! let me know what you think! lots of love xx

MORNING LIGHT PRIED open my eyes as it streamed in from the ajar curtains of Damon's hotel room

MORNING LIGHT PRIED open my eyes as it streamed in from the ajar curtains of Damon's hotel room. Resting on the sixth floor of the Grand London hotel, I could see the London eye from across the river Thames as water churned like a ferocious beast. The day was young, shadows carving across the landscape like permanent ink.

Tired and dreary, I cast my mind back to the previous night. As much as I wanted the events to have been a dream, the man slung across the posh sofa in front of me was enough indication that this was in fact very real.

I laid in the warm sheets for a moment, pulling the exquisitely soft covers in towards my small figure as I began shivering before realising that I had a lecture today – and that I had spent the night in stranger's room.

"Shit," I half-shouted, biting on my lip as I threw the sheets off my body. My eyes widened when I noticed I was fully clothed, exempt my dirty boots which were propped up against the mahogany door of the suite.

I had to get out of here before Damon woke up. Last night, I had been too shocked and exhausted to contemplate my decision to follow the man, but now I was wide awake I had been shown a brutal reality. Damon wanted to protect me, but I didn't know from what – or who.

I made it half way to the door before a warm hand caught my own, and pushed me up against the rough wall. Damon's handsome face hovered centimetres away from mine, the stubble lining his jaw appearing darker from the close proximity. The scent of smoke and wet dirt lingered in my nose as I roughly breathed in, the man's hands rough against the bare skin of my wrist.

"Get off me, arsehole," I sneered, breaking his hold on me with a quick jerk of my arm. My face drew firmly into an emotionless expression, trying to perceive that I was unafraid when my heart was leaping out of my chest.