15 | caligo

15 | caligo
darkness, inability to perceive mentally

dedicated to kolsmikaelson

15 | caligodarkness, inability to perceive mentallydedicated to kolsmikaelson

FIVE PERCENT

FIVE PERCENT. THAT was the amount of charge I had to call my mum and use Google Maps to make my way to my destination. I cursed as the red battery bar glared at me, tempted to try and navigate my way around London, but I didn't know the bustling city well enough.

It was the Saturday before Christmas, and the streets had exploded into a plume of people. The echo of voices filled every nook and cranny of the city, people panicking and rushing around to squeeze in the last of their Christmas shopping. The smell of hot chocolate wafted into my nose from a nearby cafe, making my mouth water. The winter air was bitterly cold, and in only a hoodie, I was frozen to the core. Yet, this was what the British Winter was about. As I watched people smiling, and gasping at the Christmas lights as I passed Carnaby Street, I felt my heart warm. The anger I had trapped within me earlier had dissipated, leaving behind a strange emptiness, but I managed to scrape a smile.

Damon was out of my life for good. I wasn't going to see him again. I had no room in my life for liars.

But I was also afraid to call my mum because I hadn't spoken to her in so long. With the mystery of who wiped my mind solved, and the answers to my questions found, I now felt free to call her. I hadn't wanted her to worry, and now she wouldn't have to.

I turned down an emptier street, and headed towards the nearest Tube station. I swiftly unlocked my phone and opened contacts. I pressed on my mother's face, and the call button before I could regret my decision.

My hands were shaking as they placed the phone to my ear. The phone rung five times, each tempting me more and more to hang up.

I was met by silence on the end of the line, and then a voice that made my heart crack. I hadn't heard it in so long, and I hadn't realised how much I missed it. My mum was my life - she had always been there, through my highs and lows, heart breaks, and violent pursuits. She loved me no matter what, and I replicated the same love towards her, too.