16.5 | kuebiko

16.5 | kuebiko
a state of exhaustion by an act of senseless violence

dedicated to dankfabio

"DAMON?" I UTTERED in disbelief, unable to quite allow myself to believe the scene that was unfolding before me. I blinked to make sure that I was not hallucinating, and then pinched the back of my hand. It was real. Damon had come to save me, despite putting himself in the most dangerous position any vampire could.

The vampire landed a punch to Harry's head as the fight moved across the church in a series of blurred bodies. Harry's body landed on the floor with a crunch, but in a split second he was back on his feet. He surged towards Damon, who only had time to hold his hands out in front of him before Harry hurtled the man against a wall twenty meters away. His Newblood strength and speed was showing, and I felt my body begin to shut down in fear. What if he killed Damon? After all he was risking for me, I couldn't let that happen.

My heart hammered at breakneck speed as I forced myself to glance away from the battle. The church had erupted into a sea of concerned looks, yet no one had dared to move an inch. Interrupting the sacred ceremony was punishable by death, even I knew that.

My eyes found the obsidian blade in an instant, and I rushed forwards, fingers ready to clutch the object. But as soon as I was centimetres away, a hand grabbed my top and flung me backwards.

I landed on the cold floor with a sickening crunch, my head thrashing against the stone. For a second, my vision swirled as I flailed to get up into a sitting position. My vision was a blur of blue black and blood as I attempted to glance around, but I didn't have time to gather my bearings as a hand roughly gripped my shirt and pulled me to my feet, dragging me back to the altar.

I didn't need to look at the man's face to know that it was Harry. My heart lurched, wondering where Damon was. Had Harry managed to kill him?

As soon as we reached the altar, the boy threw me against the goblet, my head clattering against the rim. For a second, my sight was lost to a chasm of darkness. Lights swam in the corners of my eyes, like a swarm of fireflies greeting me at the gates of hell.