11 | adronitis

11 | adronitis
the frustration of how long it takes to get to know someone

dedicated to flashingallen

WE ENDED UP missing Bake Off

WE ENDED UP missing Bake Off. By the time Nathan had regained consciousness and called an ambulance to take me to hospital, the show stoppers had already been judged, and one contestant had been sent packing.

After being diagnosed with mild concussion I was whisked straight into the surgical room upon, and had to repeat the cover story that I had tripped and fallen on my boyfriend's knife – Nathan's knife – during dinner more times than my head could process. Now, thirteen stitches decorated my shoulder on either side and I still couldn't raise my arm above my chest without screaming in pain.

The following morning, after spending the night in an uncomfortable hospital bed with Nathan by my side at all times, I was discharged following a final check-up. With a handful of medication and painkillers, we were thrown out of the hospital and left to hail a taxi to take us back to Nathan's hotel room. For the first time, I was relieved to enter the confines of room 306 and collapse onto the soft mattress until the crisp white sheets surrounded me like a protective skin.

Lying face down, Nathan had pulled the duvet over my shivering body and let me drift asleep. This time, the nightmares did not pursue; I was no longer plagued by the fragments of memories that kept resurfacing from my past. I didn't want to be. I knew that I had to find the desolate parking lot I had seen whilst in Elijah's custody, but without the blade in our possession and Damon a hostage to Sonoya, I wasn't going anywhere.

By the time I awoke, it was midday. Sun glistened against the windows, twisting the light until it created a cascading rainbow across half of the room, including my face. I narrowed my eyes and raised my good arm to block out the sun, bathing in the rich sunlight before it ultimately disappeared. In England, I was used to the sun hibernating throughout the winter. Even in summer, the sun rarely revealed itself. But I still loved the country – my country – from the rich history, to the Morris Men who used to dance at my local pub once a year back in Southampton.