13 | silence

13 | silence
the complete absence of sound

dedicated to purgedsouls

HANNAH HADN'T STOPPED shaking

HANNAH HADN'T STOPPED shaking. As I pressed a warm cup of hot chocolate into her fingers, the liquid began to splash at the motion. Her eyes focused on the wooden grains of the kitchen table, the sweet aroma of hot chocolate doing nothing to break her out of her trance.

"Hey," I whispered, and slid into the seat across from my closest friend. Her dark bob was ruffled, knotted against her head from the high winds on top of the building. Tears cut into her foundation, creating lines on her face in an irregular pattern. "Hannah?"

Another tear slid from the woman's crystal eyes before she locked them with mine. I gulped from her lack of emotion. Hannah's jaw clenched, as though the very sight of me had her in pain.

"You had Nathan compel me," Hannah uttered, her features growing angry.

"Hannah-"

"You had Nathan compel me, Cor. After everything you went through, you had him do the same to me too." Her eyes fell to the vampire stood behind me. Illuminated by the crappy student housing lights, Damon and Nathan stood on opposite sides of the room. Damon leant against the kitchen cabinets and fastened his suit, whilst Nathan pretended that he was not interested in the conversation. Since Elijah's life had been taken, neither men had uttered a word to one-another, and the room had dissolved into silence.

All I could feel was guilt. I had tried to protect Hannah, yet all I had ended up doing was almost end her life.

"I didn't want you to get hurt. Is that too bad? I love you Hannah, ok?"

"Cora, don't," Hannah stared at me for two seconds before she had to look away. The hurt in her eyes shattered my heart into one million irreparable fragments. Hannah - aside from my mother - was all I had. And I had lost her. "I almost died tonight because of what you did. And I get it - I get why you told Nathan to compel me to go back home. But you took away my free will. My choice to put myself in danger or not.