08 | infernal

08 | infernal
relating to or characteristic of hell or the underworld

dedicated to DankFabio

IT STARTED WITH a bright light, shimmering across a body of rapidly moving water

IT STARTED WITH a bright light, shimmering across a body of rapidly moving water. The white crests of rapids reared up like horses, ready to engulf anyone or anything that fell prey to its hunger.

The water roared in my ears, spiking my senses as the scene around me formed from the darkness. The shadows warped into objects, creating a vivid scene from my past that I didn't know existed. Above me was a derelict parking lot, with the concrete beams surrounding me like a cage. An old bicycle was leant on its side beside the stream that sat behind the concrete spears, plumes of orange rust encrusting the once trustworthy object. It stank of stagnant water - or at least what I hoped was stagnant water. The unusual odour was pungent in the air and made me crinkle my nose.

For a second, I took in every detail from the river to the abandoned lot, wondering why it smelt of death. And after that second, everything became black once more, the river crafting itself into a wall; the dirt floor turning into a marble one.

I fluttered my eyelids as I awoke, the sleepy dust sticking to the corners of my eyes making it difficult for me to pry them open. I was no longer in the outskirts of London, but very much the centre of it. The room was exquisite, with an open plan design linking the bed I was curled up on to the kitchen and living area. The same emblem - a species of flower with a celtic pattern surrounding it - I had seen stamped on the poker chips last night were everywhere, including the red rug strewn across the centre of the floor.

"And she's finally awake," A strong voice sighed, emanating from the kitchen. I jumped a little, and huddled back down into the sheets of the bed as though they would swallow me whole. I knew that powerful voice. "Morning, love."

I heard the metallic chink of coffee mugs as I sat upright in the soft bed. It was definitely a kingsize, yet my small figure had managed to take up the whole mattress. I could no longer hide, and reluctantly slid the duvet off my body, relieved to find myself clothed in the same black jumpsuit I had sported last night.