06 | monachopsis

06 | monachopsis
the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place

dedicated to voidmoriarty

DAMON'S EYES LINGERED on mine for what felt like an eternity

DAMON'S EYES LINGERED on mine for what felt like an eternity. As his hazel irises bore into mine, glancing over all of my hidden secrets, the seconds effortlessly ticked by - and with each passing second, my concern that Hannah was not going to wake up made my skin tingle with anxiety. I couldn't bear the thought of her being hurt in the first place, but her falling unconscious had never been on Damon's agenda. At least, I hoped it hadn't.

After ten minutes of silence, I could feel my heart thumping against my ribcage with each beat. Hannah hadn't stirred, and as ten minutes merged into eleven, I began clenching my fists together until it hurt.

"Oh, God, Damon," I whispered, panic evident in my voice as I shifted my position, stroking Hannah's hair gently as though it would pull her into consciousness. "What if she doesn't wake up? We need to do something!"

"Now is not the fucking time to play princess, Cora," Damon's husky, yet chilling voice stated. He had since crouched beside me, the back of his black suit sweeping across the floor. "If you're really concerned, call 911 or something."

My brows furrowed, however the gesture was out of anger rather than confusion. "It's 999, you idiot. Where the hell do you think we are, Damon? The fucking United States of America two-point-oh?" I shouted, unafraid of waking up the residents in the neighbouring rooms. I had stopped stroking Hannah's hair, my hands balling into tight fists. The man drove me over the edge, yet I still found myself far too intrigued by the handsome man to give a shit about his murderous personality. "Give her your blood or something."

Damon rolled his eyes. "Look, sweetcheeks, that shit doesn't do anything, otherwise I would've healed your nose by now."

I cast my eyes downwards, disappointed that vampires in the novels and TV programs I had been so invested in as a teen had distorted reality - despite not knowing that this reality existed. "So what can you do?"