Chapter twelve

EVAN POV

Evan still couldn't believe this was happening. Connor Murphy and his mother were having a light conversation at his dinner table. He was laughing his beautiful laugh as Evan's mom imitated their president.

"I'm building a wall." She said in a dopey voice while building up a line of silverware. "None of you can come in unless you look like me."

"So...a deformed Cheeto?" Connor asked, attempting to keep a straight face.

"Yes. Only deformed Cheetos past this point." She grabbed her son. "And I have taken this pretty boy hostage!"

"No! Not my pretty boy!" Connor yelled jokingly. Evan blushed in the arms of his mother.

"The only way to free the pretty boy is by um..." she looked around the room. Her eyes fell on a box of leftover pizza. "Eating a piece of pizza in one bite!" Evan laughed as Connor put his head in his hands in mock distress.

"Is that the only way?" He asked, looking up.

"That's the only way. Or this boy will be subject to relentless tickling!"

"Mom!! I'm t-too old f-for this!" Evan protested, giggling. He looked at Connor who winked at him, putting flurries of butterflies in Evan's stomach.

"Well if that is the only way..." Connor said signing, standing up and making his way to the pizza. He lifted a piece, holding it up so they could see it, and stuffed the whole thing in his mouth.

"O-oh my god Connor d-don't choke on-on that!" Evan yelled, genuinely concerned. Connor gave Evan a dramatic look with his mouth full of pizza. Evan couldn't contain himself. He laughed so hard he started crying. This causes his mother to laugh, and Connor had a coughing fit with his mouth full.

When he finally got the pizza down, he lofted Evan out of his mom's lap.

"AH-HA!" He shouted, holding up Evan triumphantly. Evan clung to Connor's arms.

"Put me d-down!" He said, not really meaning it. Connor put him down and the three hugged, Evan in the middle. He loved this little family. He felt safe in their arms and took a shaky breath, grounding himself and allowing himself to feel secure and happy.

CONNOR POV

Connor wanted to stay like this, with these people, forever. He'd never felt so at home and loved in his life. That's when he felt his phone buzz in his pocket. He reluctantly untangled himself from the Hansens. He muttered a "Sorry," and looked at his phone.

Brat: Where r u? Mom and Dad are asking questions

Me: could u get me from here [input address]

Brat: ya

Me: thx Zoe

Brat: 👍🏻

Connor turned off his phone and looked at Evan and Heidi.

"Sorry. My sister's coming to pick me up. My parents don't know where I am." Connor said, more to Heidi than to Evan.

"Alright honey, just know you're welcome here at any time." Heidi smiled at Connor and he noticed that she had the same smile as Evan.

"C-Connor?" Evan asked gently. Connor looked over at him, raising a questioning eyebrow. Evan walked over to him and gave his mom a look that Connor assumed meant for her to let them alone. When she left, Connor looked into his intoxicating eyes and smiled.

"Yes dear?"

"I know I h-haven't like a-asked you offi-officially or an-anything but..." Evan turned red. Connor loved when he blushed like that. It was adorable.

"Yes?" Connor gently prompted.

"Wouldyouwanttobemyboyfriendimeanitsokayifyoudontwanttoitotallygetitsorryishouldnthaveaskedsorry." Evan looked down, visibly flustered. Connor put two fingers under his chin and lifted it to meet his eyes. He almost forgot how to speak, Evan looked so stunning.

"Of course I'll be your boyfriend." He managed. Evan squealed and embraced him. His perfect lips met Connor's. His heart threatened to jump out of his chest. He put a hand behind Evan's neck and kissed him harder. Evan's hand went under his shirt, making Connor shiver. And that's when his idiot of a sister decided to knock on the door.

Connor pulled himself away from Evan, heading towards the door. "H-hey." Evan said, causing Connor to turn around. "7-11 t-tomorrow? S-sAme time?" He pulled at the hem of his shirt anxiously.

"Definitely." Connor turned back and opened the door to face a very worried looking Zoe. "What is it?" He asked her.

"Um..." she cast a nervous glance into the house. "Let's talk in the car." Connor immediately took the hint, waved goodbye to the Hansens (with a wink to his cute as hell Evan) and shut the door behind him.

Immediately, Zoe started to cry.

"Oh my god what happened?" He grabbed the keys from her. "I'll drive while you talk, okay?" Zoe covered her mouth and nodded, allowing Connor to help her to the car.

"It's...it's dad." She said between sobs. "He..he asked where you...where you were so I said...said you were with a friend. I texted you. And...and...and then Alana called." She broke down. Connor spared a glance at her.

"So? Why is that bad?" He was very confused, none of this was making any sense.

"Well...um...I'm dating her." This was obviously difficult for her to express to him.

"Hey, I'm dating Evan!" Just saying the words made his heart soar. "Anyways, so what happened?"

Zoe broke into a watery smile at her brothers good news but then continued on.

"Well...um her name...her name came up as 'Baby,' and mom asked if I was dating someone and I...I said yes because I'm a fuck..I'm a fucking idiot Connor!!" She nearly screamed the words. "So I answered the...the phone and dad grabbed it from...from me because he want...he wanted to talk to my..my 'boyfriend' and when Alana answered he...he just went white and hung up. He...he's so angry." She broke into another sob.

"Okay. This is what we're gonna do. We are gonna go in there, and we are gonna be ourselves." He pulled into the driveway and parked. "That's all we can do." He smiled sadly and opened his car door. Zoe's swollen eyes looked up at him as she also got out of the car. He reached out his hand and she took it.

The two siblings walked into the house, ready to face whatever happened because at least, in that moment, they had each other.