Chapter thirty-two

THREE YEARS LATER
CONNOR POV

Connor sat on the couch, waiting for Evan to come home from work. He had a surprise planned and he was ridiculously excited about it. He was also nervous. Connor picked at his nails, which were painted white. He looked down at his promise ring and smiled. It was raining outside, which put a damper on his plans, but he would make it work. It had to be today.

A knock sounded at the door. Grinning, Connor stood up and crossed to the front door. His beautiful boyfriend stood, soaked to the bone. Evan was shaking a bit from the cold, prompting Connor to pull him inside and hug him, despite getting water all over himself.

"How was your day?" He mumbled into Evan's neck.

"It was wonderful." Evan said back with a hint of a smile in his voice. Pulling away, he looked up at Connor. "For the first time in months, nobody died!"

Evan worked as a nurse's assistant at a nearby hospital. He had decided to dedicate his life to saving people.

"Sweetheart, that's amazing!" Connor exclaimed, pulling back and brushing some wet strands of hair out of Evan's face. "Now run upstairs and get dressed. I'm taking you somewhere." Evan glanced up, confused.

"Wh-where?" He asked.

"It's a surprise." Connor said, hardly able to contain his excitement. "Now go get dressed!"

Evan smiled brightly and ran up the stairs. Connor watched him with loving fondness in his eyes. I'm so fucking in love with him...he thought happily. Connor looked down at his own wet clothes and threw on some dry ones while he was waiting for Evan to come down.

"Are you coming?" He called up to Evan. Within minutes, Evan jogged down the stairs wearing one of Connor's hoodies and a pair of red jeans. "I'm digging the pants." Connor said.

"Thanks..." Evan replied, blushing. "Y-your shirt's on backwards..." he pointed out. Connor looked down and realized that, in fact, his shirt was on backwards. He shrugged and took it off, flipping it around and putting it back on correctly. Connor looked back at Evan, smirking.

"Better?" He asked.

"W-well personally I preferred n-no shirt." Evan answered, pulling him in for a long kiss. When the finally broke apart, Connor led Evan by the hand out to the car. As they started driving, Evan was looking out the window at the rain. Connor placed his hand on Evan's thigh as he drove.

They finally pulled up to Connor's old house. Zoe and Alana lived there, but currently they weren't home. Connor pulled the keys out of the ignition. The two of them let themselves in. On the ground lay golden petals, sprinkled throughout the house. Evan's eyes widened.

"W-what's this?" He asked breathlessly, looking up at Connor, who in turn led him through the house, pointing out all the memories they had made there. When they were done, he took Evan's hand and led him back into the car. They drove to Evan's old house. Heidi had moved, so the house was currently being rented as a summer house. Since it was autumn, it was empty. Connor parked the car again and motioned for Evan to follow him out. He opened the door to reveal more marigold petals.

Each room held a different memory, which Connor reminded Evan of as they walked through the house. Finally, it was time. Connor was shaking he was so nervous.

The couple walked hand in hand through the back gate. Arnold, Evans beloved tree, still stood. Time had rinsed away the hateful graffiti, and the marigolds were thriving around it. Connor held out his other hand to Evan so they were facing each other.

"Dear Evan Hansen. You are an amazing individual. A life without you is not a life that I'm interested in. You light up my life with your smile. You are the kindest person I have ever met and I am ridiculously, stupidly, intoxicatedly in love with you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Here, Connor took a breath. This was the hard part. He made eye contact with Evan, who was tearing up and got on one knee.

"Will you, Evan, do me the honor of marrying me and being my husband for the rest of our lives?" Connor asked, producing a ring from his pocket.

Evan was sobbing now. Connor couldn't tell whether all these drops were tears or rain.

"Y-yes...yes I'll marry you. I love you." Evan whispered, reaching for him. He kissed Connor so passionately that Connor thought he would fall over. When they separated, Connor slid the engagement ring onto Evan's finger.

"HE SAID YES!" Connor yelled into the house. Zoe, Alana, Jared and Heather came stumbling out with cameras and phones recording.

"I knew he would." Alana said.

"Well yeah, duh." Jared rolled his eyes, grinning.

"That's so sweet!!" Heather squealed.

"Congratulations, bro." Zoe smiled.

Connor and Evan kissed again, holding each other in the pouring rain.

Fiance...Connor thought.

It has a nice ring to it.