Chapter fourteen

EVAN POV

Evan tried to avoid every pothole on the way to the hospital. He felt his anxiety threatening to take over but focused on the road. He couldn't afford to have a panic attack right now. Not when Connor was depending on him. He blinked back tears as he pulled up. Without bothering to turn off the ignition, he ran inside and yelled at the nearest doctor.

"I n-need h-help. My f-friends are in the-the car.." he grabbed the doctor by his sleeve and pulled him outside to the car. The doctor rushed back inside, yelling.

"I need two stretchers and a team of EMTs. Now!" As the Murphy's were unloaded from the car, Evan sat by watching carefully. He half way expected Connor's mouth to twitch and then he would stand up and Zoe would laugh and they would hug him and they would all be safe and happy...

"Young man, what is your relationship to the patients?" A kindly looking doctor asked gently.

"Oh um...th-that's my b-boyfriend and his s-sister."

"Follow us." The doctor responded and Evan followed them into the hospital. "You can sit and wait there. We will let you know how they're doing periodically." Evan nodded and began to sit down before remembering that his car was still running. With a yelp, he ran out to his car and sat in the front seat, taking out the key. And that's when he broke down.

Evan slammed his hands against the steering wheel angrily and curled his legs under himself as his body was racked with sobs. Memories of him and Connor flashed through his head, making him cry harder. Just last night, he was laughing and joking and now...he couldn't take it. And Zoe had been nothing but kind to him. He grabbed a water bottle from the glove compartment and took a long drink. His mom always told him to drink after he cried because fluids are good and help you calm down faster. He took a deep breath and checked the clock. He'd been in the car for half an hour. What the hell? He thought to himself. It had felt like five minutes. His mouth fell open and he got out of his car and locked it.

As he approached the waiting room again, he saw a young woman with a clipboard wearing scrubs looking around anxiously. He approached her carefully, tapping her arm.

"C-can I see the M-Murphys now?" He asked softly, afraid of the answer.

"Oh, you must be Evan." She said with a kind smile. "Zoe's been asking for you. Go right on in. She's in room 419." He felt himself flood with relief. It was short lived as his chest tightened.

"W-what about C-Connor?" He almost whispered. The woman gave him a sympathetic look, causing fear to run though his veins.

"He's not conscious, unfortunately. He lost a lot of blood. He's in relatively stable condition, so he should be okay as long as he regains consciousness within twenty-four hours. He's right next door to his sister. Room 420."

"Th-thank you." He tried not to think of all the jokes Connor would have made about the room number. He pushed through the door and located room 419. Zoe was sitting up, a neck brace and stitches galore. But when she saw Evan, she broke into a wide smile.

"Evan. Thank you so much. I don't have words to express myself because what you've done for me...us...is indescribable." She held out a bruised hand, and he took it gingerly.

"D-don't m-mention it," he stuttered, not used to this kind of positive attention. Zoe squeezed his hand.

"I'm glad you're dating my brother. I'm so glad that he's happy again. Did you know that he started singing again? He hasn't sung for years. And then...and then you came along." Her eyes turned red and her eyebrows scrunched together. Evan felt his own hot tears running down his face. He sat carefully at the foot of her bed, and they just sat there, hand in hand, hoping and praying that Connor would be okay. The exhausted teenagers fell asleep, knowing that they were safe here.

Evan opened his eyes when he felt a gentle hand shake his arm. The lady with the clipboard was bent over him.

"Connor will be stable enough for visitors soon."