Chapter thirty

CONNOR POV

Connor leaned against the wall near Evan who was still meeting with people about the Connor Project. His arms were folded and he was grinning like an idiot at his boyfriend. "Baby? I have something for you." Connor said shyly. He produced a marigold from his pocket and pinned it to Evan's graduation gown.

"I love marigolds." Evan said quietly.

"And I love you." Connor responded, tapping his nose. Evan turned back to the people, a slight smile on his face. Today is absolutely perfect. Connor thought to himself. And then Jared approached.

"Guys I need to talk to you." He said, a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes. Evan stepped protectively in front of Connor.

"Oh, hi, Jared. What's up?" Evan asked casually.

"Listen. I've been a dick and I'm sorry. But this is my last chance to tell you the truth." Jared said, fiddling with his glasses.

"What?" Evan asked, confused. Connor pushed himself off of the wall and stood beside Evan.

"Thomas was blackmailing me." Jared blurted. He immediately turned red. "He said if I didn't do all that stuff to you," he gestured to Connor, "he would hurt me. I knew he wasn't bluffing because of what he did to you, Evan. Anyways, I'm really sorry and I just needed to get that off my chest." Jared didn't look either boys in the eyes, he kept his eyes glued to his shoes. He started to walk away, but Connor grabbed his arm. Connor felt awful. Of course Thomas was behind all of that. How could he have been so blind? And then he'd blocked Jared's number and avoiding him at school, refusing to listen to his side of things.

"Hey man. I'm sorry that happened to you. Thomas is the dick." He gave Jared a half smile. "Now I still hate you, but not because of what Thomas made you do. We cool?" Connor asked.

"Really? I mean yeah. We're cool." Jared said, concealing his joy very badly. He turned to Evan. "How about us? Are we cool?" He asked hopefully. Connor glanced at his boyfriend and gave him a small nod.

"If Connor is okay with it, then yeah. We're cool." Evan said without missing a beat. He opened his arms. "C'mere, Kleinman." Jared rolled his eyes but allowed Evan to hug him. Connor awkwardly put his arms around the both of them.

"Now stop acting so nice. You're freaking me out." Connor said to Jared after they'd broken apart.

"Fuck off, Murphy." Jared countered. Connor smiled.

"There's the Jared I know." He laughed.

TIME SKIP BROUGHT TO YOU BY BEN PLATT AND HIS LITTLE DANCES

"So here we are." Connor said after they unloaded the last of Evan's things into his house. "All done. Welcome home." He kissed the top of Evan's head, causing him to giggle.

"I n-never thought...I never thought I'd be this happy." Evan said, looking around at the house. He sniffed, and Connor went around to his face, seeing that he was crying. He put both his hands on Evan's shoulders and smiled at him.

"Me neither. But here we are. Together. Home." He pulled Evan into a tight embrace. "I promise you I will make you as happy as possible always and forever. I'll do everything in my power to make sure you are safe and comfortable. I love you, Evan Hansen." Connor felt Evan smile into his sweater.

"I love you more." He mumbled. "And you smell like weed..." Connor laughed.

"What's up bitches?" Zoe asked, totally ruining the moment. "Oh sorry I didn't realize you guys were having sex in here my bad." She walked past them and grabbed a box of Cheesos, eating them at the counter. Connor just looked at her. "What?" She asked, feigning innocence.

"First of all, those are my Cheesos. Second of all, I'm trying to kiss my boyfriend. Give us some peace." Connor said, striding towards her and grabbing the Cheesos.

"My house my rules," she shrugged, grabbing the box back. "And I hereby declare that there are no gays allowed in this house."

"B-but Zoe..." Evan piped up, "Aren't you gay?" He asked tentatively.

"Oh, yeah. Shit." She grinned, eating some Cheesos. "Speaking of which..." she trailed off, taking her phone out of her pocket. She dialed a number and put the phone to her ear. Evan looked questioningly at Connor who helplessly shrugged. "Hey, babe." She said brightly into the phone. "Evan lives here now. Yeah. Yeah. No oh my god!! Alana no. Yep. Okay. Love you too." She hung up.

"What was all that about?" Connor asked his sister.

"Oh Alana's coming over and we're gonna have a slumber party." Zoe said, as if that were obvious.

"I don't remember agreeing to this..." Connor replied uncertainly. He turned towards Evan. "Is this okay with you, sweetheart?" Connor asked gently.

"Y-yeah. Sounds fun!" Evan replied, adorably enthusiastic. Connor couldn't help but walk over to him and kiss him on the forehead.

"Alright Zoe. It's a go. You're lucky Hansen agreed with you." Zoe beamed and gave her brother a quick hug. "Ew. Gross." He responded. Zoe ignored him and ruffled Evan's hair.

"It'll be fun." She promised him.

"Hey now. I'm the only one allowed to touch his hair." Connor said protectively. Zoe countered by tussling Evan's sandy hair again. "Alright. You asked for it." Connor said, shrugging. "You are grounded, young lady." Evan laughed and Connor whirled around. "Unless...my prince has any objections?" He asked Evan kindly, causing the shorter boy to turn pink.

"N-no objections." Evan said, smiling mischievously at Zoe, who flipped him off.

"You heard the man. Go to your room." Connor stated, pointing. Zoe fake huffed and stalked to her room. When she'd shut her door, Connor picked up the box of Cheesos and dumped the whole thing in his mouth. No regrets.