Chapter Nine

tyler and josh were supposed to go on their date soon.

tyler still had no idea how, or what, they were going to do, but whatever. it beats getting pied in the face all day by small children.

"i'm gonna finesse some food." josh said to tyler once they were preparing the pies for the kids in the kitchen.

they started yesterday and they weren't even halfway done with the amount matty wanted.

"you mean steal?" tyler asked.

"finesse."

tyler rolled his eyes, watching josh blatantly open the fridge and take food out in front of matty and the other counsellors. he filled the insides of his jacket, turning around and seeing everyone staring at him, except for tyler, who was dying of secondhand embarrassment.

"what are you looking at? i'm hungry." josh defended, food poking out from the bottom of his jacket.

"whatever." matty shrugged, continuing his task of making sure everyone was doing their job.

josh smirked in approval, surprised that matty let it go, but shrugged it off, looking at tyler and gesturing to the exit. he looked around to make sure no one was looking, but brendon kept glancing at josh from next to pete. tyler called him over, josh sighing and waiting with his jacket full of cold food.

"bren, can you watch my kids?" tyler asked. "i'm sorry."

"why? so you could go suck josh off? the rest of us are actually working, here. i'm busy."

"what the fuck is your problem?" tyler whisper-shouted.

"nothing. whatever, i can."

"thanks." tyler said hesitantly, watching brendon walk away and wondering what the hell got to him today.

he followed josh anyways, still shaken up. that was weird, and scary; brendon's never blown up at him like that, ever. it scared him, because was it his fault? was he mad at josh? he felt guilt melt over his heart like acid, and the pit of his stomach felt empty. he didn't want to be the reason brendon was pissed. what if-

"ty, what's wrong?" josh asked, noticing tyler's hands were folded in front of his chest as they walked. "you do that when you're worried."

"brendon just blew up at me." tyler said, eyes trailing his eyes to the ground.

"well, listen," josh stopped at their spot, sitting down and letting the food fall out of his jacket onto the floor, "i think you should talk to him. i know he doesn't like me, per say, but you're his best friend. it must be something else. ask him tonight, when he's calmer."

"okay." tyler nodded, thinking josh was right. "thank you."

josh smiled softly, glancing at tyler and then at the food. "look, we're having a picnic date!"

"i like picnics." tyler smiled, appreciating the soft winds and warm sun beating down on their chilled skin.

"what can i say, i'm a psychic."

"really? then what am i thinking right now?" he asked, challenging him.

"you're thinking about...how much you want to kiss me. am i right?"

"there's literally only one way to find out." tyler rolled his eyes, making josh smile.

he decided to just go for it, crawling the tiny distance towards josh. when he was close, he just barely ghosted his pouty lips over josh's. he hesitantly leaned forwards, josh eagerly pushing his lips onto tyler's, sighing through his nose and flowing with him until he was underneath him, pressed into the soft grass. he softly gripped tyler's hips, instantly falling in love with how easily he could hold onto them. tyler pressed his knee between josh's legs, holding himself up on the other knee and his elbows. his heart was fluttering in his chest with adrenaline, as each kiss was a risk that they were both willing to take. he shifted his head to the side, getting a better angle and deepening the kiss. as their mouths became more parted and needy with want, so did their hands, and josh's trailed from tyler's hips to the back pockets of his khakis, and tyler lowered himself so that they were flush together. tyler trailed feather-light kisses down josh's jaw - who released a shaky breath at the sensation - down to his throat. it was only when he continued to search for a sensitive area-